• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Recruiting: Juke Harris Commits!!

Let other teams take all the risk on whether high school kids can make the jump, and spend all their time and money kissing the ass of 15 year olds and their parents for years with the hopes that they'll give you the time of day when it's time to commit.

I'm all in on recruiting the portal hard and getting the best 1-3 years out of kids who are already proven. We have a coach who can do it well and doesn't seem too concerned with tradition or the way the blue bloods have done things in the past. Plus, it will likely result in a team with a perpetual chip on it's shoulder.

I posted it elsewhere and I'll post it again here. The game has changed. We won at Tech with 8 players who all played college basketball last year. We don't have to depend on HS recruiting from year to year. Forbes can recruit with a plan to mostly sit guys as freshmen and play experienced homegrown players and transfers.

Read an article recently that said the last half dozen NCAA Champions were mostly home grown talent, mostly three year guys with a few one-and-dones and transfers sprinkled in. This data was pre-Covid and pre instant eligibility of transfers.

A recipe going forward could be a mix of near blue chip H.S. kids who understand they need to work and learn for a few years, transfer portal guys who improve greatly with a year or two of college and grad transfers, particularly bigs who often mature later.

I think something like sign 2-3 high school players max a year and bring in 2-3 portal guys each year and just roll with an ever changing roster . Steve Forbes seems like the perfect coach to have in this moment . Can you imagine Jeffery B or manning trying to navigate this new world? They sucked then and they were be even worse now if that is possible.

I'm not down with a roster that churns every year and I hope we don't go that route once we get established.

We’ve had a roster that churned every year due to transfers due to transfers going out and having to hastily replace them. Getting grad transfers or players with two years of eligibility is much better.

But at the end, I don’t care. I just want to win. I don’t root for this group any less because I didn’t know who they were 9 months ago.

I don't care one bit about churn. If you recruit at the top of the high school pool, you'll have churn. If you recruit the portal, you'll have churn. If Manning is your coach, you'll have churn. I like to win. If we can do things differently and dominate by a new set of rules, let's do it. Who cares where someone plays their first few years so long as they spend their best years as a Deac?

Listen to Coach Forbes. There are three sources for new basketball players at Wake Forest. High school recruits, the transfer portal and international players. Every year returning players must blend with incoming players and a new team must be developed. The foundation of Forbes career was at the JC level where this has occurred for decades. It's no problem for him. The new reality of college basketball benefits him. Right coach. Right time. Right place. Enjoy winning again.

I'm not down with a roster that churns every year and I hope we don't go that route once we get established.

What if our roster churns every year but we’re winning?? at the the end of the day i just wanna win, idc if its transfers, international or whoever the hell else.

I don't care one bit about churn. If you recruit at the top of the high school pool, you'll have churn. If you recruit the portal, you'll have churn. If Manning is your coach, you'll have churn. I like to win. If we can do things differently and dominate by a new set of rules, let's do it. Who cares where someone plays their first few years so long as they spend their best years as a Deac?

I would think Forbes is looking at the portal more as a place to get the next LaRavia/Monsanto type players. Getting the core of a team to be together for two or three seasons seems to be the way to go.

Let’s look at this team as start.

3 grad transfers
3 one or two year transfers
4 US HS recruits
2 international

We’ve had a roster that churned every year due to transfers due to transfers going out and having to hastily replace them. Getting grad transfers or players with two years of eligibility is much better.

But at the end, I don’t care. I just want to win. I don’t root for this group any less because I didn’t know who they were 9 months ago.

This is how the pros work too. Most teams in the NBA, G league, Europe, have players coming and going each season and within seasons, with a few rare exceptions of a franchise player. But even now, it’s rare for a franchise player to stay with a team over 5 years. Any body that has pro aspirations has to get used to heavy roster turn over and learning to play with new guys and adjusting their roles. It’s honestly good training for the next level.

I think yearly roster churn is one reason for declining interest in men’s college basketball.
Plenty of other factors to consider. Besides some who subscribe to a blue haired idea about the "right way" to do things, I don't think it's a driving factor. Contributing maybe, but not responsible for the bulk of the decline. The fact of the matter is that there simply more things to do with one's time and attention span now than there was 10, 20, 30 years ago.

I know for sure what has caused the decline in interest in Wake Forest college basketball, and that's the only college basketball I really care about. Just win. If we can adapt and win more because everyone else is stuck in old ways, even better. I'm already more invested in Alondes as a player than anyone that has played for Wake in 10+ years besides maybe Collins. I'll be an Alondes fan the rest of his career. He's a Deac in my book.

Back