• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Recruiting: Juke Harris Commits!!

i wonder if it is too late to get back involved with Whitt

Get back involved?

WF has never not been involved (since Forbes came on board). WF is actively recruiting and holding communications with Whitt as often as reasonably possible.

Didn't realize Whitt was 6'4", He'd be a perfect compliment to McCray in Forbes system. In the past when we've played a 2 PG lineup, we were usually at a size disadvantage on defense. Wouldn't be the case w/ Whitt/McCray

I feel like if you want the Clemson campus experience, just go to an SEC school, have a better experience, and likely a better bball program. Say what you will about Wake's strengths and weaknesses, but we definitely have some unique identifiers that separate us from nearly every other school (for better or worse). I'm not really sure what separates Clemson on any level, let alone the level they're on.

I suppose it's possible Clemson offers a field of study he's interested in? :noidea: I'm out of excuses/ideas for this one, but I'm guessing it's more about what Wake isn't than what Clemson is.

I've lived in Upstate SC for over 30 years. Clemson is not what we always stereotyped it to be. Over the last 20 years the campus and facilities have been upgraded dramatically. While it isn't a WFU Georgian style architecture everything else about their campus life pretty similar to Wake, walkable campus, nice facilities, lots of students and people to interact with. While they don't have their own law or med school but they have tons of successful grads in those fields. Their schools of engineering and other diverse science fields are well regarded. They also have what we never have had, a true college town atmosphere and an amazing athletic experience. I hated Clemson when I first moved here, but not surprisingly I met a LOT of really successful, smart and friendly Clemson alums, nice people. They have their redneck fan base of a sort. But read our board. We have some nasty folks too . Personally, after my second son decided to go to Clemson, got a great experience, graduated with a legit education, and finished his graduate Doctorate from a top ranked school I had nothing but praise for Clemson. Wake and Clemson aren't the same, but both are good.

I've lived in Upstate SC for over 30 years. Clemson is not what we always stereotyped it to be. Over the last 20 years the campus and facilities have been upgraded dramatically. While it isn't a WFU Georgian style architecture everything else about their campus life pretty similar to Wake, walkable campus, nice facilities, lots of students and people to interact with. While they don't have their own law or med school but they have tons of successful grads in those fields. Their schools of engineering and other diverse science fields are well regarded. They also have what we never have had, a true college town atmosphere and an amazing athletic experience. I hated Clemson when I first moved here, but not surprisingly I met a LOT of really successful, smart and friendly Clemson alums, nice people. They have their redneck fan base of a sort. But read our board. We have some nasty folks too . Personally, after my second son decided to go to Clemson, got a great experience, graduated with a legit education, and finished his graduate Doctorate from a top ranked school I had nothing but praise for Clemson. Wake and Clemson aren't the same, but both are good.

And Littlejohn is on campus!
I don't have the knowledge about Clemson that you do but agree completely that some posters here are way off base in stereotyping certain schools and their fans. Great post. Positive rep being added.

Posters dogging other schools and calling them garbage is one of my biggest pet peeves on this board. THere are many other fine schools out there other than Wake, many of them offering a completely different kind of experience than Wake can and that is a good thing. I'm like fusiondad, I've lived in SC for over 20 years and do my best to hate Clemson, but I know and work with a lot of really good Clemson people who are doing just fine in life. My oldest son is in 9th grade and to be honest- if his two choices were Wake and Clemson I'd probably tell him to pick Clemson. The exorbitant price of Wake versus in state tuition makes that almost a no brainer.

I more am ripping on basketball programs than schools. Taking away the last decade and we have much richer basketball traditions than Clemson and some other ACC schools.

As far as campus life, town, etc., that's a different story.

Who was it that called Clemson “Auburn, with a lake”?

We're stuck in the past imagining Clemson's basketball program as garbage just like we're stuck in the past thinking that Wake basketball is relevant because we were good when these kids were like 6 years old.

Posters dogging other schools and calling them garbage is one of my biggest pet peeves on this board. THere are many other fine schools out there other than Wake, many of them offering a completely different kind of experience than Wake can and that is a good thing. I'm like fusiondad, I've lived in SC for over 20 years and do my best to hate Clemson, but I know and work with a lot of really good Clemson people who are doing just fine in life. My oldest son is in 9th grade and to be honest- if his two choices were Wake and Clemson I'd probably tell him to pick Clemson. The exorbitant price of Wake versus in state tuition makes that almost a no brainer.

This. It's so fucking juvenile, but most of all, just dumb.

Three of my closest friends are Clemson grads (2/3 are PhDs and the other works for Zillow HQ) and it's definitely given me a different view of the school. They love their football team and celebrate winning but, surprisingly, would rather it be like it was before the huge money, incredible facilities, and bandwagon fans. More like when it was their school and the pep band kids were in the stands win or loss.

We're stuck in the past imagining Clemson's basketball program as garbage just like we're stuck in the past thinking that Wake basketball is relevant because we were good when these kids were like 6 years old.

We are recruiting kids who weren’t even born when CP played at Wake.

I know a bunch of Clemson grads. They are all morons because they went to a shit school.

But they have had a lot more success in football and basketball.

The people on this board praising Clemson live in SC, which makes them morons as well. May God have mercy on each of your respective souls.

Need to go all in on Aidoo. Clemson was one of his best offers and they just took a big. He's from Charlotte. VPI and Houston are his only other good offers. 6'11 with some decent looking skills. Need to take a big in every class and he looks like the best around.

Creamy, there is nothing about this post that makes me feel good about our recruiting. Not aiming at you at all, but three things you posted are the kind of crap I was hoping to move away from after we got rid of Manning: (1) Very few "good" offers from power schools; (2) "Decent" skills; (3) He appears to be among the best of the scraps left over. I'll repeat from earlier, not down on Forbes at all, but was hoping for a recruiting honeymoon. If we miss on Whitt and end up with a group of "decent" 3 stars that will be disappointing. Even worse, we'll see all of the posts proclaiming that our recruits were simply overlooked and would easily have been 4 star, top 75 if the spring season hadn't been cancelled!!!!

Let's hope for some legit 4 star surprises so everyone can mock my posts!

Last edited:
Creamy, there is nothing about this post that makes me feel good about our recruiting. Not aiming at you at all, but three things you posted are the kind of crap I was hoping to move away from after we got rid of Manning: (1) Very few "good" offers from power schools; (2) "Decent" skills; (3) He appears to be among the best of the scraps left over. I'll repeat from earlier, not down on Forbes at all, but was hoping for a recruiting honeymoon. If we miss on Whitt and end up with a group of "decent" 3 stars that will be disappointing. Even worse, we'll see all of the posts proclaiming that our recruits were simply overlooked and would easily have been 4 star, top 75 if the spring season hadn't been cancelled!!!!

Let's hope for some legit 4 star surprises so everyone can mock my posts!

I certainly agree that we want to recruit at the highest level possible. The issues we are running into are (1) coming off of an awful 10 year stretch while these kids were growing up. It's been mentioned, but many of our recruits were 6 the last time we made the field of 64. We have devolved into an absolute joke of a program under the previous 2 regimes. (2) Forbes hasn't had time to build relationships and sell recruits on Wake. His strong suit is building personal relationships and that's very difficult to do over zoom and text messages. Many of the guys we are going after have had much more time to get to know other staffs. (3) He's unproven at the ACC level. If my kid was a top-100 talent and I spent my entire life getting him to a level where he can essentially go and play anywhere in the country, I'm sending him to a school and coach who I KNOW can take care of him and get him to the next level. Forbes will build that rep but it might take a few years.

Last thing I'll say is let's look at all mid major coaches who jumped to the ACC over the past decade. Evaluate their first full recruiting class compared to what Forbes ends up with. I imagine it'll look somewhat similar. I think Keatts brought in one 4 star guy his first class and Young was able to reel in two 4 star guys. If we end up with 4 guys in the top-175 range then that's a class to be proud of, especially if its highlighted by a top 60 guy like Weston, or someone like him. Let's just see how things shake out.

I certainly agree that we want to recruit at the highest level possible. The issues we are running into are (1) coming off of an awful 10 year stretch while these kids were growing up. It's been mentioned, but many of our recruits were 6 the last time we made the field of 64. We have devolved into an absolute joke of a program under the previous 2 regimes. (2) Forbes hasn't had time to build relationships and sell recruits on Wake. His strong suit is building personal relationships and that's very difficult to do over zoom and text messages. Many of the guys we are going after have had much more time to get to know other staffs. (3) He's unproven at the ACC level. If my kid was a top-100 talent and I spent my entire life getting him to a level where he can essentially go and play anywhere in the country, I'm sending him to a school and coach who I KNOW can take care of him and get him to the next level. Forbes will build that rep but it might take a few years.

Last thing I'll say is let's look at all mid major coaches who jumped to the ACC over the past decade. Evaluate their first full recruiting class compared to what Forbes ends up with. I imagine it'll look somewhat similar. I think Keatts brought in one 4 star guy his first class and Young was able to reel in two 4 star guys. If we end up with 4 guys in the top-175 range then that's a class to be proud of, especially if its highlighted by a top 60 guy like Weston, or someone like him. Let's just see how things shake out.

Good post. I agree with all 3 of your points. My fear is that we will need to revise #1 next year to say that we are coming off an awful 11 year stretch. That's not a knock on Forbes' coaching ability at all. Just a reality of the talent on the current roster. At some point the staff has to overcome that and break through by recruiting legitimate talent. Maybe that will happen next year after Forbes and staff are able to build those relationships. Or, maybe Whitt or another 4 star will surprise us this year.

Back