• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball Recruiting: Juke Harris Commits!!

I mean, there's no basketball reason that Dillingham would want to go to NC State right now. It's pretty clear that they're just tossing cash at players at this point.

ETA: That Donda situation was really sketchy. I'm not sure if you saw the controversy after Dillingham's dad alleged that his handler kidnapped him and brought him to Donda.

I read about it. Not sure really what to believe but it sounds like a mess I want Wake to avoid. Let State get mixed up in that. Otherwise their basketball team would not get any publicity whatsoever.

I mean, there's no basketball reason that Dillingham would want to go to NC State right now. It's pretty clear that they're just tossing cash at players at this point.

ETA: That Donda situation was really sketchy. I'm not sure if you saw the controversy after Dillingham's dad alleged that his handler kidnapped him and brought him to Donda.

Isn’t that okay under NIL?

Isn’t that okay under NIL?

Technically the school and coaching staff are supposed to have nothing to do with NIL deals. It’s supposed to be completely on the student athletes to secure those deals. Alumni basically set up shell corporations to funnel these deals.

Technically the school and coaching staff are supposed to have nothing to do with NIL deals. It’s supposed to be completely on the student athletes to secure those deals. Alumni basically set up shell corporations to funnel these deals.

Is it that black and white? I think I've heard Currie talk about setting up NIL connections for our players. I believe I've seen schools marketing to players around NIL too.

Is it that black and white? I think I've heard Currie talk about setting up NIL connections for our players. I believe I've seen schools marketing to players around NIL too.

Very black and white ... the schools can offer advice on STATE LAW as it relates to NIL, but it's fully on the athlete to work out their own NIL deals. They can also employ a professional service provider to assist with NIL, but the school is not to get involved.

Schools are setting up "collectives' to route and handle money, rights and other NIL particulars. While coaching staffs are not to be involved we all know they are to some extent and know what can be offered. Not many rules as with the transfer portal. Only the most blind would believe there is not tampering and recruiting between staff, players, and handlers. We are in the unregulated, Robber Baron era of college football- the wild west shoot out where most anything goes. You have o wonder if the NCAA has the power, influence or will to put structure on this.

From ON3: “Collectives” is the hottest buzzword in the NIL space. Schools can’t create them, but passionate, prominent and wealthy donors sure can. A collective is a NIL-related company that can help facilitate deals for athletes, and also can create its own deals for athletes through funds pooled from alumni and fans. At the moment, roughly two dozen have been launched nationwide. By the time you’re finished reading this story, though, that number may have grown. They are popping up that quickly.

Oak Hill Academy had a home game for its Gold Team on Wednesday.

The NCAA had decades to regulate a system for paying players. They did nothing. They're only interested in cashing checks. They had to allow NIL and have outsourced guidance to SCOTUS, Congress, state legislatures, and conferences.

Isn't some U Texas booster group paying each OL big $? Its the wild west as long as the $ isn't tied directly to the school.

What’s the going rate per pound of offensive tackle who can conjugate a vowel?

Isn't some U Texas booster group paying each OL big $? Its the wild west as long as the $ isn't tied directly to the school.

We can find money for weak side vowel conjugation.

Texas A&M has booster groups paying OL and other significant $ and their are contracts that renew annually, so if a player decides to shop his services he needs to find that new NIL to maintain standard of college liviing.

Texas A&M has booster groups paying OL and other significant $ and their are contracts that renew annually, so if a player decides to shop his services he needs to find that new NIL to maintain standard of college liviing.

and I assume dropping NIL money if a player doesn't "pan out"?

Very black and white ... the schools can offer advice on STATE LAW as it relates to NIL, but it's fully on the athlete to work out their own NIL deals. They can also employ a professional service provider to assist with NIL, but the school is not to get involved.

Not busting on the poster b/c what he says is 100% accurate, but that's like saying it's o.k. for a middle man to hook you up with a drug dealer, but whatever you and the dealer work out is entirely out of the middleman's hands. It's ludicrous to think that a university is going to tell an NIL group that "whatever you guys work out is fine", vs. telling the NIL to "go find some more $$", or "call Joe Booster who I talked to and he is good for the $$".
It will be interesting to see how many "legit" NIL deals there are, i.e. a star QB actually going to a car dealer and doing promos and signing autographs that carry a price per signed item, vs. like a Miami setting up a slush fund to promise OL recruits who no one has ever heard of to come to their school.

am i crazy or does Mintz kinda feel like the Ayo recruitment?

am i crazy or does Mintz kinda feel like the Ayo recruitment?

I think the fanbase was more invested in Ayo’s recruitment - with Mintz the overall feeling seems to be if we get him, great. If not, in Forbes we trust.

That 2018 class was full of absolute duds.

I think the fanbase was more invested in Ayo’s recruitment - with Mintz the overall feeling seems to be if we get him, great. If not, in Forbes we trust.

That 2018 class was full of absolute duds.

Losing out on Ayo was another step on the path that led to Forbes replacing Manning.

Back