• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Depends on what rural area you live in. If you live in the exurbs fairly close to a medium-sized city or in a college town then you might be able to still get a decent job and buy that 200k house, but there are many rural areas where the manufacturing economy has imploded and even blue-collar jobs are hard to find, and you'd be surprised at the number of even country folk that don't care to work in construction or landscaping or similar work. There are plenty of rural areas where life isn't nearly as comfortable or as prosperous as it used to be, including right here in NC.

Also lots of folks who just don't have the physical ability to work in construction or landscaping. It's not really a valid long term plan to just say "sure, just take on this back breaking physical work that will wear your body down sooner rather than later"

Also lots of folks who just don't have the physical ability to work in construction or landscaping. It's not really a valid long term plan to just say "sure, just take on this back breaking physical work that will wear your body down sooner rather than later"

No doubt. It always amazes me at the number of people my age back in my hometown who already have serious health/medical issues, and I suspect that's the issue in many rural areas. As to why I have no idea, but it's an issue.

No doubt. It always amazes me at the number of people my age back in my hometown who already have serious health/medical issues, and I suspect that's the issue in many rural areas. As to why I have no idea, but it's an issue.

Industrial and agricultural pollution is also a bigger issue in rural communities.

Just saw an CNN interview with Joe Manchin, who said that he's not worried about the GOP challenges to the election results, because he knows a good many Republican Senators who are a "silent group" "privately" trying to do "the right thing" and that he's counting on "their better angels" to convince other Republicans to stop challenging the election results. He also said that if the Democrats somehow get a 50/50 tie-majority that he won't support ending the filibuster, won't support adding DC or Puerto Rico as states, or "packing the Courts" or most of the Democratic agenda apparently. So even if the Democrats get a tie with those 2 GA races that's at least one Democrat who won't vote for any of the progressive agenda. He said that he's the most centrist politician in Congress and that he still believes in Senate "bipartisanship." Where has he been for the past six years while McConnell ran the Senate?

Last edited:
Just saw an CNN interview with Joe Manchin, who said that he's not worried about the GOP challenges to the election results, because he knows a good many Republican Senators who are a "silent group" "privately" trying to do "the right thing" and that he's counting on "their better angels" to convince other Republicans to stop challenging the election results. He also said that if the Democrats somehow get a 50/50 tie-majority that he won't support ending the filibuster, won't support adding DC or Puerto Rico as states, or "packing the Courts" or most of the Democratic agenda apparently. So even if the Democrats get a tie with those 2 GA races that's at least one Democrat who won't vote for any of the progressive agenda. He said that he's the most centrist politician in Congress and that he still believes in Senate "bipartisanship." Where has he been for the past six years while McConnell ran the Senate?

Then he fails to understand what's going on here. A "silent group" does nothing because what Trump and his flunkies are trying to do is to establish the narrative that the election is illegitimate and tainted. They know Trump lost (he may not but that doesn't matter) and they know that they can't overturn the election result. All they are trying to do is keep the Trumpers riled up so that they can win the Senate in January and then block EVERYTHING Biden attempts to do with the cover of there being "questions" about the legitimacy of his election. And they are succeeding.

I get not wanting to expand the SC or end the filibuster from a "democratic norms" point, but no statehood for DC and PR is just plain antidemocratic.

I get not wanting to expand the SC or end the filibuster from a "democratic norms" point, but no statehood for DC and PR is just plain antidemocratic.

I get your sentiment here, but both are broadly unpopular nationwide.

Political Chat Thread - All Topics & Rants Welcome

I get your sentiment here, but both are broadly unpopular nationwide.

Racism and obsession with the number 50.

Also there has never been a national conversation about it aside from discussing the Senate. A lot of people don’t even know PR is part of the US.

Last edited:
If we really need to keep 50 states for symmetry, we could always combine the Dakotas and add either Idaho or Wyoming to Montana.

Found Shannon Sullivan's White Ignorance and Colonial Oppression: Or, Why I Know So Little about Puerto Rico (Chapter 8) to be instructive on some reasons why PR is actively ignored/ignorance produced.

I have family members that are truckers and appreciate the work that they do to keep America rolling, but striking in a profession that’ll be obsolete within a decade seems a bad idea.

I have family members that are truckers and appreciate the work that they do to keep America rolling, but striking in a profession that’ll be obsolete within a decade seems a bad idea.

I don't believe that truck driving will be obsolete in 10 years - the current automation technology seems far more similar to that aircraft pilot automation. Theres a lot more that goes into truck driving than just cruising down the highway, the first and last mile of trucking being the most difficult and crucial

I don't believe that truck driving will be obsolete in 10 years - the current automation technology seems far more similar to that aircraft pilot automation. Theres a lot more that goes into truck driving than just cruising down the highway, the first and last mile of trucking being the most difficult and crucial

Well, let's fight about it.

Do you have a CDL?

10 years is a long time. Google started their self driving car program 11 years ago.

While I don't think that everyone from the Trump administration should be blackballed, there are a good number of people appointed to positions that were not qualified or for other reasons had no business being where they were. And yes, anyone that took an active, front facing role misleading the public should be shunned. But the rank and file should get an opportunity to prove themselves elsewhere. Sometimes you just need a job, even if your boss is a terrible person.

i'm just saying the instant solidarity from the media class was so predictable

Back