• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Every penny a state or federal agency spends on IDs is 99.9999999 % wasted finding a "solution" for a "problem" that doesn't exist.

Something that is easier than placing a bet after a race is over would be betting if every person in America was given an ID that the GOP would find other ways to suppress the votes of minorities.

Yes, but if this is the trade off to ensure passing the rest of a new voter rights bill it would be worth every cent.

Yes, but if this is the trade off to ensure passing the rest of a new voter rights bill it would be worth every cent.

If Dems give a federal ID to everyone, the states and Republicans will come up with something else and Manchin will use that as an excuse. It's a shame he won't even suspend the filibuster for DC statehood. Of course, he understands he will lose all power if that happens. He will be all alone.

RJ, if they don't find a way to compromise then nothing will get passed. I'd rather have 80% of something than 0% of it.

And yes, Manchin is a twat.

Every penny a state or federal agency spends on IDs is 99.9999999 % wasted finding a "solution" for a "problem" that doesn't exist.

Something that is easier than placing a bet after a race is over would be betting if every person in America was given an ID that the GOP would find other ways to suppress the votes of minorities.

Yes, but that's not the point of the ID.

I'd give them national ID assuming it's freely available at all polling locations on election day and easily attainable the rest of the year.

In exchange, end partisan gerrymandering, automatic voter registration, expanded ballot access by mail and early voting, etc.

They will never allow the end of gerrymandering.

I agree with this, and nothing short of a Constitutional Amendment banning it will ever change that. Gerrymandering is a distinctly state level issue unfortunately.

The Republicans will never vote for anything about VRA. McConnell won't let them and Manchin knows this.

I worked at a Precinct and there was a huge Issue with identifying voters who had ethnic names. Voter ID would help with that.

I'm seeing Manchin wants the voter rights bill to be "bipartisan." If giving them voter ID in exchange for everything else gets it done, would that be acceptable? Could the lower minority turnout due to voter ID laws be offset by protecting their actual rights to vote and ensuring access to more voting locations, more hours, and mail in ballots?

Can you still sign a statement the day you vote affirming that you are registered if you do not have your ID on you? I definitely make that exchange if that is still a possibility, possibly even if it isn't if we have those roving, free ID stations.

Free Voter ID and registration with a COVID vaccine shot. Make it happen.

Can you still sign a statement the day you vote affirming that you are registered if you do not have your ID on you? I definitely make that exchange if that is still a possibility, possibly even if it isn't if we have those roving, free ID stations.

There is, and should always be, a mechanism for same day provisional ballots.

Why do you say that? Because they will be against literally anything? Or because it will cost money?

Because Republicans have been against a national ID.

And the purpose of voter ID laws is to make it harder for people to vote. A free, easy to obtain national ID defeats that purpose.

Make everyone sign up for selective service at age 18, men and women, and make that your Voter ID application.

i don't understand people who don't just hit the "yes" button when you get/redo your driver's license

Political Chat Thread - All Topics & Rants Welcome

Wow. Jake from State Farm and Cliff Paul are causing riots and reaping the benefits! What is Flo from Progressive’s angle here? Is she in charge of Me Too?

Last edited:
But isn’t the premise that the tax penalty for rich auto owners funds cheap ways for people to get to work via public transpo?

Back