• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Alec Baldwin just shot someone to death in broad daylight and is about to get away with it.

Turns out his Trump impression isn't that bad after all.

very disturbing that this is your take on this situation.

Seems like a well informed dude without an axe to grind

...I would guess (based off of a few schools where I know) more often than not, colleges use portions of their endowments as supplements to their operations.
For instance, they might spend 5% of their endowment every year knowing that the fund will probably return 7% on average....thus growing, but provide direct and immediate benefit to the university

very disturbing that this is your take on this situation.

Not really. Jh's humor has always been fairly shitty. His comedy= Russell Westbrook's 3 point shooting. A lot of tries, a lot of misses.

And much like Westbrook, completely undeterred. Which, in a weird way, is a compliment to him.

Those are "federal negotiated rates." Some how Harvard got the Government to agree to pay 69% indirects. Most schools are a little above 50% these days.

Yeah. I wish the feds would change that. It’s the high price of doing business with Harvard. It’s ridiculous especially at institutions with massive endowments.

Yeah. I wish the feds would change that. It’s the high price of doing business with Harvard. It’s ridiculous especially at institutions with massive endowments.

Yeah and a further problem is that places like Harvard and Princeton set the standard then other institutions follow.

Indirect is such a joke, the day they came in and started counting sinks and Ethernet ports pretty much highlighted the shitty system they have going.

Political Chat Thread - All Topics & Rants Welcome

Yeah and a further problem is that places like Harvard and Princeton set the standard then other institutions follow.

Thankfully my institution has been at 49.5% for awhile. I work with community colleges with much lower indirect so that helps as well.

Indirect is such a joke, the day they came in and started counting sinks and Ethernet ports pretty much highlighted the shitty system they have going.

I’ve been continuously funded as a PI for 10 years and I’ve brought in much more indirect than I’ve been paid. I do get like 2% that goes into my research account. So I don’t have to worry about travel funds or software. So that’s nice. But I feel like the university is my pimp.

Last edited:
Thankfully my institution has been at 49.5% for awhile. I work with community colleges with much lower indirect so that helps as well.

I’ve been continuously funded as a PI for 10 years and I’ve brought in much more indirect than I’ve been paid. I do get like 2% that goes into my research account. So I don’t have to worry about travel funds or software. So that’s nice. But I feel like the university is my pimp.

ph "better have my money... through rain, sleet or snow..."

I am not really sure who you are arguing against. I wish all 50 were on board. They aren't so something is better than nothing.

Arguing against some ideal that you don't have the votes to implement and complaining that we are going to get destroyed in the next election is self-defeating.

Last edited:
Can you explain at what point of whittling down you’d prefer the status quo to a severe compromise bill?

It sucks but I hope that somehow success can propel the Dems to some pickup next year that can lead to a better bill. If it’s about appeasing two senators, take those two off the table.

"''Die-hard conservatives thought that if I couldn't get everything I asked for, I should jump off the cliff with the flag flying - go down in flames. No, if I can get 70 or 80 percent of what it is I'm trying to get, yes I'll take that and then continue to try to get the rest in the future. And maybe it's easier to get it as they see that this works. And this was what they were critical of. They couldn't stand it that I would compromise and settle for less than I'd ask.''

Ronald Reagan, 1985.

Even ideologues have to compromise.

Also, your ally 80 percent of the time is not a traitor 20 percent of the time.

I was talking about votes, but if you want to drag Bernie and his Soviet honeymoon into this have at it.

This is a joke at Berne's expense. A joke.

Last edited:
Back