• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

43E59xI.png

lol the rym reviews are great

You talking about this country song like you haven't heard the Lets Go Brandon rap bangers.

Yes. It's still very weird.

Goddamn it fuck you Mitt for detracting from my enjoyment of that show. And fuck you kyrysytyn for selling out.

By “biscuits” I assume he’s referring to like $5000 in that box, or whatever embarrassingly small amount it took to get her to dump green energy or voting rights.

Better be a nice gift given all she's saving him in taxes.

Getting Youngkin ads during UVa-BYU. Ugh. I guess polls close a few hours after we get the CFP rankings. Tuesday night could go both ways.

Getting Youngkin ads during UVa-BYU. Ugh. I guess polls close a few hours after we get the CFP rankings. Tuesday night could go both ways.

I don't live in VA, but from what I've read and seen it looks as if McAuliffe has run a typically bland, status quo, somewhat inept Democrat campaign. He does seem to have run a bunch of ads tying Youngkin to Trump, which probably has helped him some. At this point it looks as if the momentum is with Youngkin. If the GOP wins VA it's likely a bad sign for Democrats next year nationally, as the GOP will use the Youngkin formula (especially the whole CRT-in-schools bogus issue) to win back suburbanites, and it will just provide more evidence that too many Democrats don't know how to effectively respond to GOP attacks, or won't respond effectively.

At this point, I think it's going to be similar to the CA recall. Lots of panic on the left. Lots of rage and hype and seemingly momentum on the right. But the outcome will be basically unchanged from 2020 (10%) and 2017 (9%).

I don't live in VA, but from what I've read and seen it looks as if McAuliffe has run a typically bland, status quo, somewhat inept Democrat campaign. He does seem to have run a bunch of ads tying Youngkin to Trump, which probably has helped him some. At this point it looks as if the momentum is with Youngkin. If the GOP wins VA it's likely a bad sign for Democrats next year nationally, as the GOP will use the Youngkin formula (especially the whole CRT-in-schools bogus issue) to win back suburbanites, and it will just provide more evidence that too many Democrats don't know how to effectively respond to GOP attacks, or won't respond effectively.

Pretty much. Guy has served a term as governor, but has pretty much stopped talking about what he did and what he plans to do. The fundraising e-mails are mostly various famous people (James Carville, Hillary, Stacey Abrams, and for some reason Carole King, among others) counting how many times Trump has endorsed Youngkin on his stupid blog. (Six times! Six times!) Not exactly inspiring.

Searched my inbox. 6 of the last 7 e-mails containing the word "hell" are Carville sending a September e-mail (ex: "why the hell are the polls showing a tie?"). Five of the last six containing the word "damn" are Carville sending an October e-mail (ex-"I'm damn proud of Terry"). This mild cursing is how I know that Carville is the tough guy who has what it takes to win the election for Terry, and that all he needs is my $30. Based on this acceleration, I'll bet I get the word "ass" tomorrow for the final stretch run.

Never liked McAuliffe and he has run a campaign that just tries to tie younkin to trump. All younkin does is gin up fear and avoid actual policy discussion. Oh, the lies. He does not appear to like being honest. Par for the republican course in recent years.

Pretty much. Guy has served a term as governor, but has pretty much stopped talking about what he did and what he plans to do. The fundraising e-mails are mostly various famous people (James Carville, Hillary, Stacey Abrams, and for some reason Carole King, among others) counting how many times Trump has endorsed Youngkin on his stupid blog. (Six times! Six times!) Not exactly inspiring.

Searched my inbox. 6 of the last 7 e-mails containing the word "hell" are Carville sending a September e-mail (ex: "why the hell are the polls showing a tie?"). Five of the last six containing the word "damn" are Carville sending an October e-mail (ex-"I'm damn proud of Terry"). This mild cursing is how I know that Carville is the tough guy who has what it takes to win the election for Terry, and that all he needs is my $30. Based on this acceleration, I'll bet I get the word "ass" tomorrow for the final stretch run.

Thanks, that's about what I figured. McAuliffe may still pull through, but what you described is why Democrats too often keep losing elections they should win. They run retreads or bland candidates who appear as the uninspiring status quo politician, rely on massive ad blitzes and celebrity endorsements instead of grassroots, door-to-door campaign organizing (which is one of the reasons I like Jeff Jackson here in NC, as he seems to get it), and often give the appearance that they're afraid to fight for their beliefs or that they don't really have any other than showing their resume and talking in bland, vague phrases. The Democrats really, really need to elect some fresh faces to revitalize the party - AOC and some others are a good start, but they need a whole lot more.

Last edited:
Tying the opponent to Trump is a good strategy after Trump lost by 10 points. He’s also running on continuing Dem progress in the state.

fundraising emails/messaging is a pretty unique rhetorical genre in policomm - the recognizable name and memorable fact/call-to-action constrains since you need to send a few of those a week

i hated writing them

I see people protesting outside a gate. I don’t see them crashing anything.

Back