• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

What’s your problem with the HEROES act Dems passed in May?

I didn't mention the HEROES act. I just think it's ludicrous to 1. call a grocery cashier a "hero" for coming to work during a pandemic, when they literally won't survive without the 11 bucks an hour., 2. to call anyone a "hero" and not absolutely support that person receiving free healthcare and a living wage. I truly question how some wealthier members of society really believe they belong in the same political party as the people selling cigarettes at Sheetz or restaurant servers working for tips.

Because their political theory of change doesn’t acknowledge class consciousness much less class solidarity. Things can only get better on the margins and at the voting booth.

This is a tangent - I believe that the forced politeness of service industry and retail jobs really prevents the middle class from understanding how impoverished and desperate people are. Even panhandlers on the street have to smile and feign graciousness. If your only experience with poorer people/minorities are in situations where they have to politely serve you with a smile, as a customer, then you're not going to actually consider their situation. Very rarely does a retail worker or the guy changing your oil ever burden you with guilt or a story of hardship. So if you aren't in that class, if you don't live with lower income people or have an investment in the life of someone poorer, how do you ever really begin to care for them? They just exist to serve you, like furniture.

Last edited:
attaching "heroes" to anyone who has to work to survive is a logical outcome of the symbolic economy/economy of trope that has plagued this thing from the start, imo.

"on the frontlines" "the battle against COVID" "at war with the virus" "the invisible enemy" etc etc.

it's what happens when language frames reality in such a way to obscure very real hardships or make it easier for some to live by.

Rant- stop bitching that NBA players are millionaires who shouldn't complain about inequality. Just because they make a lot of money doesn't mean they shouldn't use their public platform to bring light to a lot of the shitty things that happen in this country on a daily basis. /end rant

attaching "heroes" to anyone who has to work to survive is a logical outcome of the symbolic economy/economy of trope that has plagued this thing from the start, imo.

"on the frontlines" "the battle against COVID" "at war with the virus" "the invisible enemy" etc etc.

it's what happens when language frames reality in such a way to obscure very real hardships or make it easier for some to live by.

Its just hollow symbols and empty rhetoric - very literally the least that our society can do to coerce people to keep working under dangerous conditions.

Today's rich NBA players are yesterday's victims of racial profiling. They also likely know, or were themselves, victims of police brutality.

Its just hollow symbols and empty rhetoric - very literally the least that our society can do to coerce people to keep working under dangerous conditions.

empty rhetoric is maybe my least favorite cliche ever but I recognize I am a huge nerd on this one so I will zip it instead of unleashing the rant

Today's rich NBA players are yesterday's victims of racial profiling. They also likely know, or were themselves, victims of police brutality.

Exactly- I don't know why that's so hard for people to understand. What are they supposed to do, just say 'F it, I'm rich now, they can fend for themselves?'

While the stock market is getting all of this interest free cash from the government, working class people are eating their own - because Frontline essential workers are resentful of the people who have been at home collecting unemployment. Does the Democratic party do anything to break up that resentment? Does the Democratic Party say or do anything to turn that working class resentment towards corporations instead of neighbors? FUCK NO. Because Democrats aren't populists - they're elitist shitbags who are far more concerned with the health of the stock market then they are of the working class eating itself. Its this dickbaggary that leads businesses to put up "Heroes work here" signs while their workers get COVID, and then resist every regulation or expansion of benefits that help their workers.

Umm, they're working to get all the unemployed another round of money. Stop biting the hand that quite literally feeds your entire political party.

Exactly- I don't know why that's so hard for people to understand. What are they supposed to do, just say 'F it, I'm rich now, they can fend for themselves?'

YES. "Those sports people" (we all know the words dd65 would use) should shut up and play. They should be HAPPY that we allow them to entertain us. (Insert a

Rant- stop bitching that NBA players are millionaires who shouldn't complain about inequality. Just because they make a lot of money doesn't mean they shouldn't use their public platform to bring light to a lot of the shitty things that happen in this country on a daily basis. /end rant

Yep. More below.

Today's rich NBA players are yesterday's and today’s and tomorrow’s victims of racial profiling. They also likely know, or were themselves, victims of police brutality.

Addendum

Conservatives have a tough time understanding a few elements of this.

People can have been poor or working class and through hard work and skill become rich. They talk a good game on this but they hate people like Obama, Bill Clinton, and AOC. They feel like athletes owe them. See the Football Issues thread.

People can become rich without directly exploiting labor (obviously Nike and other apparel companies do exploit labor but players aren’t making the payroll although they could do more).

People who are rich can care about people who aren’t. That’s also blowing their minds about suburban white women too.

Actual racial solidarity as a way to empower everyone not nationalism as a way to maintain power over people.

the two best national anthems, the SSB and La Marseillaise, are war songs. suck it, lib softies

Is it common knowledge that the DoD pays millions of dollars to advertise the military at sporting events? All that "Salute the Troops' camo jersey shit? Paid advertising.

Hey guys, first time poster. Just found this community and so glad I did. Not many Wake grads here in Ohio and the ones that are were all frat dbags. Excited to catch up with everything here!

Back