• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Back in March, I took my sisters to Ocean Isle and they were blown away at the Trump and confederate merchandise that dominated the retail shops

I think its just a Trump thing since it essentially a cult. First, gullible enough to fall for his shit so gullible enough to buy overpriced useless merchandise. Second, a feeling of displaying Trump stuff to own the libs mentality where everyone will be triggered by my Trump gear. In reality its a self identifying badge that you are a fucking idiot that should be avoided.

I sort of think the Trump flags are just replacement Confederate flags. Saw a lot more of those in backwoods Alabama on my drive to the beach a few weeks ago that used to be the latter.

That's a good analysis. I remember going to Sparta/Galax a few times a year with my friends during the Obama-era, and not remembering it feeling very political(?). I havent been back in the past few years, but I assume that's changed

Those places have always been overwhelmingly conservative politically, religiously, and culturally, but there used to be a good number of Democrats who lived there as well as Republicans. Sparta/Alleghany County was actually mostly Dem up until the Reagan years. They were very conservative Dems, though. I grew up not far from Sparta, and I don't remember politics being as heated or as in-your-face as it is now. It was certainly very conservative, but not as aggressive or militant. It's definitely gotten a lot worse in these places, and even toxic, in that regard.

Last edited:
Back in March, I took my sisters to Ocean Isle and they were blown away at the Trump and confederate merchandise that dominated the retail shops

I don't go to the beach in the summers nearly as much as I used to, but these beach towns in NC and SC used to have tons of Confederate merchandise - you'd go into Wings or some retail shop and there were Confederate logos on t-shirts, surfboards, beach blankets, and about anything else you can imagine. BBD's description is dead-on - tons of Trumpite tourists and out-of-town property owners, with a more even mix among the locals.

Yeah, I always joke with my wife when we go to the beach that I need to stop at Waves and get a confederate flag boogie board and a dead hermit crab
eastbound12_05.jpg

on our way up to the in-laws' place in Blowing Rock there are a couple of roadside stands right when 321 starts climbing up the mountains past Lenoir that have all kinds of flags for sale. My favorite being the half American/half Confederate as well as a thin blue line Confederate.

Culturally, I feel like Trump's following is more akin to a rock band than to a politician - he's like the grateful dead of neo fascism

Can we talk about how fucking funny it was that someone said the board was left of Marx.

I think its just a Trump thing since it essentially a cult. First, gullible enough to fall for his shit so gullible enough to buy overpriced useless merchandise. Second, a feeling of displaying Trump stuff to own the libs mentality where everyone will be triggered by my Trump gear. In reality its a self identifying badge that you are a fucking idiot that should be avoided.

NC beach shops have been selling Confederate shit for as long as I can remember, defs not a Trump thing

I use to think nothing of it til I was an adult and moved away from NC and was like what the fuck

I guess more like while I was at Wake, but still -- had buddies now who are leftists who wore Confederate flag belt buckles and t-shirts in high school

I like this a lot.

The main reason the Lincoln Project exists is they will never have an easier target than Trump.

NC beach shops have been selling Confederate shit for as long as I can remember, defs not a Trump thing

I use to think nothing of it til I was an adult and moved away from NC and was like what the fuck

I guess more like while I was at Wake, but still -- had buddies now who are leftists who wore Confederate flag belt buckles and t-shirts in high school

Lived in Daytona Beach for two years (do not recommend) before the Trump presidency, and there was Confederate merchandise everywhere. There used to be a truck driving around town with a giant American flag and a giant Confederate flag, especially after the battle flag came down from the South Carolina statehouse. ("This time we stand together").

All of this is why I love that my neighborhood doesn’t have political yard signs.

what percentage of political flags flown by supporters all time are trump flags? got to be 99% right? like has anyone else ever even had a flag?

This is why the "silent majority" argument is ridiculous. I don't know any Donald supporters who haven't taken every chance to talk about how great he is.

I see that little wuss Sandman got more money today for acting like a spoiled little shit and being a punchable tool to an old man.

Is this the right thread to post that?

Same here. My parents used to take us to North Myrtle Beach or Carolina Beach or Oak Island every summer until I graduated from high school. There were stores everywhere that sold Confederate stuff, or stuff like "Southern Pride" written somewhere on it, and that was in the 80s. I didn't think anything about it then either, as I didn't care about the Confederate flag either way. It wasn't until later that I really became aware of just how offensive it is.

Update: Even the cops at Carolina Beach aren't wearing masks. I've got a mask on my 2yo in a stroller and these pack'a hotdogs-neck fucks can't wear one. The dickheads are wearing goddamn knee pads and batman utility belts to give people outdoor container citations and they cant wear masks. America is soo fucked until we get a vaccine. I feel stupid just being here, and we've spent the majority of the time in our house playing with the kid

Back