• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Political Chat Thread - All Topics & Rants Welcome

Consider these parallel hypotheticals:
a typical size male with a beard walks down the street wearing a sundress, wearing heels and carrying a purse with a feminine hair style/wig,
vs: a typically sized female walks down the street wearing male cut jeans, baggy t-shirt, tennis shoes, short hair cut no makeup on.

Which of those people is more likely to draw negative attention from those around them, and why? (I’m aware that the outfit for the female is more unisex, that’s part of my dilemma)

I think it relates to a perceived weakness. A trans woman is often labeled a "weak" man while trans men are more considered a tough female. Similar with "effeminate" gay men generally being harassed or singled out more than a bear or butch lesbians. The perceived weakness makes them easier targets. There's probably also some factor of bigots being insecure in their own sexuality/identity so they have to prove themselves by shaming others.

I think it relates to a perceived weakness. A trans woman is often labeled a "weak" man while trans men are more considered a tough female. Similar with "effeminate" gay men generally being harassed or singled out more than a bear or butch lesbians. The perceived weakness makes them easier targets. There's probably also some factor of bigots being insecure in their own sexuality/identity so they have to prove themselves by shaming others.

I think that’s a good point. Continuing on that line of thinking, I wonder if there is some unconscious aspect of our evolutionary gender understanding that assigns males different responsibilities to society, and breaking that specific gender norm by feminizing onesself is felt as some sort of betrayal or shirking of responsibility. Culturally a male among females is assumed to be a bread winner, a protector, a hunter. What becomes of those expectations when a person seemingly rejects their outward gender display

Last edited:
i think asking a bunch of non-trans people for their thoughts on this is only going to present an extremely limited answer (if that), tbh.

read susan stryker or jack halberstam

This is exactly the follow-up I would have written if Husky hadn't beaten me to it.

Also, as for the insecurity, in my experience, insecure men tend to be louder and more obnoxious in their insecurity than women are, probably to cover up the insecurity. (Yes, I used insecurity too many times in that sentence.)

Last edited:

i think asking a bunch of non-trans people for their thoughts on this is only going to present an extremely limited answer (if that), tbh.

read susan stryker or jack halberstam

If hate and misunderstanding for trans people comes from cisgender people, isn’t it our responsibility to discuss it? What would a trans person have to say about *why* they are mistreated. Doesn’t seem like it’s their responsibility to figure that out.

If hate and misunderstanding for trans people comes from cisgender people, isn’t it our responsibility to discuss it? What would a trans person have to say about *why* they are mistreated. Doesn’t seem like it’s their responsibility to figure that out.

okay don't read the work of trans people writing about their lives i guess?

i'm saying you can think about it all you want and talk with as many non trans people as you want but it's not a worthwhile conversation if you're not including any trans people in it

Don’t assume just because I disagree with your criticism that I don’t value trans peoples opinions.

well i'm only assuming that since you haven't invoked the words or work of a single trans person so far lol

i'm just trying to stop you from being reductive but if you wanna do what you wanna do go for it

you should read what marginalized people have to say about the hate directed at them

Ok, I respect your opinion that discussion of hatred or discrimination should involve opinions of the targeted group. I still believe this discussion is worthwhile, even without it.

well i'm only assuming that since you haven't invoked the words or work of a single trans person so far lol

Not being snarky, but I assume you also have independent thoughts that don’t derive from specific source materials. Not every discussion need be a book review or academic paper with cited sources.

Not being snarky, but I assume you also have independent thoughts that don’t derive from specific source materials. Not every discussion need be a book review or academic paper with cited sources.

I don't know your lived experience, but if you're not LGBTQ+ or spending a ton of time with LGBTQ+ people, then your opinions are coming from some sort of informed position - somebody else's at the very least. I think that's the general reason why you should pay attention to what people whose perspectives are either informed by research or lived experience in crafting your own perspective.

yeah

or you could try to seek out a trans opinion or two

the resistance to this is really weird dude

done with this tbh

Back