• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Its a chat thread. the overbearing content policing makes this board insufferable. are there any current trans people on the board to give their opinions? no then carry on.

personally, I think the guy dressed as a woman would get more blowback, but that is just based on my general perceptions of people and hasn't been vettted directly with any trans people.

Last edited:
Who says this place is an echo chamber.

Conceptually, I think both MDMH and Kory are correct. You absolutely want to obtain information from marginalized communities to better understand them. I also think that, in such an august chamber as this message board, non-marginalized people can theorize about this matter and discuss it without having to have read specific source material first.

Political Chat Thread - All Topics & Rants Welcome

lol "content policing"

You are. It’s honestly shitty for you to assume that I haven’t spoken to any trans people or read anything simply because I haven’t cited that for you. I don’t appreciate you assuming my ignorance simply because I don’t converse in the academic format you prefer. You made a sarcastic remark and I respectfully asked you if you thought the discussion was worthwhile. You don’t need to be dramatic. Relax, please.

Who says this place is an echo chamber.

Conceptually, I think both MDMH and Kory are correct. You absolutely want to obtain information from marginalized communities to better understand them. I also think that, in such an august chamber as this message board, non-marginalized people can theorize about this matter and discuss it without having to have read specific source material first.

thanks sig - a good synthesis

what's the difference between content policing and disagreeing with someone

i always thought content policing was literally trying to have things removed because of the content/topic of the post but maybe i'm wrong

Your hypothesis is seemingly based on “passing” trans men vs trans women who aren’t passing. I would challenge that and say that our society is mostly unconcerned with trans men, passing or not. I agree with you that people are uncomfortable with their idea of gender being violated, but I believe that the main focus of that fear or anger is directed toward people with male physical characteristics appropriating female gender traits.

Yes, because (according to my thinking) masculinity is what is valued by society. the success of an individual to pass as their desired gender (in the binary terms preferred by the people we're discussing) signifies on a spectrum of masculinity. We have ostensibly less offensive ways to describe somebody adopting masculine traits (e.g. tomboy) than someone who chooses to cast them off.

Just checking but did Chris police content when he criticized kory’s suggestions about examining trans writings

To kory's point (but eliding the debate about whose voices we read and value), there are some really good books and discussions that think deeply on this question and others like it

mdmh, if you're not satisfied by the level of engagement your question receives here, you might check out those books. Halberstam is a good rec

Back