• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Democrats have held a 60 majority in the senate for 2 years since columbine despite repeatedly getting millions more votes in senate races than Pubs. They used their one 60 vote window to pass a Republican health insurance plan and then the pubs destroyed them in the media at at the polls. I do think that Dems really like to hold on to issues to try and inspire voters to vote so when they do actually have a chance to pass legislation the go half way, call it a compromise and a first step and then continue to use the issue to attract votes. but I am also noting that despite major advantages in numbers and support for their policies, they have a major spatial disadvantage and that explains a lot more about how we got here than almost anything else.

Do you think anybody getting those fundraising emails/texts is actually voting because of them?

Have you been particularly impressed by institutional GOTV efforts? (DNC/DCCC vs. grassroots, that is)?

I think fundraising emails are at least as much of a turnoff as they are encouragement. I think they’re intended for committed Dems who want to do *something* and have no problem just shooting some cash at whoever sends the message. But they come off as tone deaf to uncommitted left-wing voters or come off as a sign that politicians aren’t doing what we sent them there to do.

I don’t think Dems have had good GOTV since Obama in 2008 and that may have just been due to his personality and early embrace of social media.

Democrats have held a 60 majority in the senate for 2 years since columbine despite repeatedly getting millions more votes in senate races than Pubs. They used their one 60 vote window to pass a Republican health insurance plan and then the pubs destroyed them in the media at at the polls. I do think that Dems really like to hold on to issues to try and inspire voters to vote so when they do actually have a chance to pass legislation the go half way, call it a compromise and a first step and then continue to use the issue to attract votes. but I am also noting that despite major advantages in numbers and support for their policies, they have a major spatial disadvantage and that explains a lot more about how we got here than almost anything else.

It was more like a few months, not 2 years due to Ted Kennedy’s failing health, death, and Scott Brown taking his seat.

Obama also built OFA and tacked it onto Dean's 50 State Strategy to tremendous effect

Notably, he did that outside of the DNC/DCCC infrastructure. Most of the establishment efforts were poured into electing Clinton, iirc.

Right. The DNC/DCCC infrastructure is horrible. Dems should go all in for grassroots efforts and just direct money to locals who know what they’re doing.

Right. The DNC/DCCC infrastructure is horrible. Dems should go all in for grassroots efforts and just direct money to locals who know what they’re doing.

Instead, they usually undercut grassroots efforts by pouring money in to support incumbents.

The RNC is vastly superior to the DNC as an effective campaign organization, imo. The RNC exerts much greater control over state GOP parties than the DNC does state Democratic parties, and the RNC seeks out and hires top-level political talent and does lots of long-range campaign planning. The DNC is mainly a fundraising platform (which they are usually good at) that is filled with party hacks who don't seem to want to leave the comforts of their offices in DC and New York. The Democrat's haven't had a great grassroots organization since Obama's reelection campaign a decade ago. The GOP is now far superior at the grassroots level in most purple states. One example of just how bad the Democrats are at basic, practical organizing is that in 2020 the Florida Democratic Party outsourced its grassroots, local organizing effort to an out-of-state group and thus missed the defection of many Latino voters in South Florida to Trump, despite local Democratic leaders in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties warning them about it repeatedly before the election.

Yeah. I have a friend in Miami who told me about this. They told the DNC about how Republicans were spending on Spanish language radio stations (not just ads) and the DNC had no answer. They asked for more volunteers and got 20-something year old white kids from up north who didn’t speak Spanish and had no connection to Miami.

I’m finally starting to see Val Demings ads on TV and it’s all “I’m a cop. See how great we are? Love me like you love cops!”

Yeah. I have a friend in Miami who told me about this. They told the DNC about how Republicans were spending on Spanish language radio stations (not just ads) and the DNC had no answer. They asked for more volunteers and got 20-something year old white kids from up north who didn’t speak Spanish and had no connection to Miami.

I’m finally starting to see Val Demings ads on TV and it’s all “I’m a cop. See how great we are? Love me like you love cops!”

Literally the only Cheri Beasley ads I’ve seen (like 2-3) are about how she set up some anti-human trafficking court or something.

Yet I’ve gotten plenty of Beasley fundraising texts and I’m out of state.

Literally the only Cheri Beasley ads I’ve seen (like 2-3) are about how she set up some anti-human trafficking court or something.

She's a high energy candidate, that one. I can't wait until she really picks up her pace in the fall. She might even campaign in places outside of Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte!

Time to cancel Better Midler for suggesting that only women have babies.

Back