• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Not sure how that could be if Denis McDonough, who served as former President Barack Obama's chief of staff, called it the "boldest Democratic platform in American history."

I've heard that like 20 times now and it makes me want to kick a puppy - that's such a disengenious way to describe an ideological agenda. If I take a big shit in the morning then i'll weigh less that I did the night before.

Last edited:
I wish I could move out of this country. I really do. I hate it here.

Not sure how that could be if Denis McDonough, who served as former President Barack Obama's chief of staff, called it the "boldest Democratic platform in American history."

"If you like your platform... you can keep your platform?"

standard progressive line about platform:

If it moved more progressive: "BIDEN and the corporatist dems are just telling you what you want to hear and will never follow through"
If it stayed more moderate: "BIDEN and the corporatist dems hate progressives and are more concerned about Lincoln Party voters and objectives"

The true objective is to spend the entire campaign season bitching and whining about Biden and moderate democrats.

Last edited:
Can we clarify some terminology? I consider Ph or ChrisL or cville or tilt to be progressives or liberals (and if this rubs you the wrong way, you could call yourself a moderate or centrist, I'm just giving the benefit of the doubt). I consider MHB, MDMH, etc. and myself to be leftists.

Liberals and progressives fit my thesis about valuing symbolic change over material change. Leftists, with no political foothold, do a lot of direct action, local action, and complaining.

standard progressive line about platform:

If it moved more progressive: "BIDEN and the corporatist dems are just telling you what you want to hear and will never following through"
If it stayed more moderate: "BIDEN and the corporatist dems hate progressives and are more concerned about Lincoln Party voters and objectives"

The true objective is to spend the entire campaign season bitching and whining about Biden and moderate democrats.

I swear that some of you cant see past the tip of your damn nose. THE "OBJECTIVES" WERE THE SHIT THAT JUST GOT VOTED DOWN. No one gives a fuck about how pleasant your online experience is as a moderate Dem. *Democrats vote against expanding Medicare to include children as part of the Dem convention* ChrisL - "Ahh! the Bernie Bros didn't really want children to have Medicare, they just want something to complain about!"

How clear does this need to be? We're trying to move this stupid fucking political party left, *now*. This isn't a game. It's not fun. It's not for twitter. People need healthcare. Children need healthcare. Stop fighting us and just move left.

1. your guy lost.
2. public option and fixing ACA is more popular than M4A.
3. Bernie had no chance whatsoever of getting M4A passed. None. Zero. Zilch.
4. Constantly justifying being an asshole online by saying "we just want Healthcare" is not a very effective way to build a coalition. If we ever get to single payer, its going to have a complexity that makes ACA look like child's play.

1. your guy lost.
4. Constantly justifying being an asshole online by saying "we just want Healthcare" is not a very effective way to build a coalition. If we ever get to single payer, its going to have a complexity that makes ACA look like child's play.

I completely disagree with you, and please don't insult me with moronic insults and then bitch about me being an asshole and not "effectively building a coalition" with you. You telling me that nothing I want is going to get done, is not building a coalition - you're setting yourself up as an ideological nemesis to be fought against, not compromised with.

TBF we could just line up all the big HC and pharma CEOs and shoot them in the head and fix a lot of our health care problems overnight.

So MDMH and Townie aren't being THAT extreme.

1. your guy lost.

you seem to get more weight to what is popular than what you think is right

while I understand the consideration for popularity for strategizing and prioritization, I have a hard time understanding it as the driving force for one's personal politics

Love to hear about popular opinion from political leadership that doesn't even support legalizing marijuana. I'm not a pollster, but I would bet that a single payer health care, free at the point of service, is a hell of a lot more popular than health insurance with deductibles and co-pays. If only the people testing that out were actually sincere, and not desperately baiting respondents with reverence for Barack Obama and fear of uncertainty. How could that be??

you seem to get more weight to what is popular than what you think is right

while I understand the consideration for popularity for strategizing and prioritization, I have a hard time understanding it as the driving force for one's personal politics

I think about this a decent amount. How much should a politician and/or platform represent the current beliefs of their constituents versus trying to push public opinion. Don't know the answer.

The idea of fixing the ACA also just seems so naive and short sighted to me. Almost to where it is intentional. Eventually the GOP will retake power and then push back against any changes implemented by the Dems.

However if you just kill private insurance while you have the chance and go single payer there is no coming back from that. Stop being such cowards you Establishment Dems.

I'll say it again, the national Democratic Party is chiefly concerned with becoming the single dominant, anti-idealogical political party of the American middle class. At that point, politics will become a completely procedural concept.

An April poll had M4A at 69 percent. Doesn’t seem like it’s wildly unpopular to me - now whether there is political will to pass that through is a different talk.

Back