• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

I’m sure CH could explain to everyone how it’s actually better and more efficient for health care benefits and costs to differ wildly between individuals, with the working class having arguably the most expensive coverage, rather than, you know, there just being a single payer and everyone having the exact same coverage, with the cost taken out of their taxes.

Grift vs Host disease

747b553e0a8f568a9d53b1069990c260.jpg

That's a good read with some good suggestions. Democrats, including progressives, the left, etc have to realize that Republicans are running a 24/7 persuasion campaign across the country that is largely unchallenged by the left except for election season. There needs to be some counterbalance at every level.

yeah, the left's campaign is "jesus christ just look around you at how totally FUCKED everything is, you know, just in general. and then look at how extra fucked it is when republicans get what they want"

yeah, the left's campaign is "jesus christ just look around you at how totally FUCKED everything is, you know, just in general. and then look at how extra fucked it is when republicans get what they want"

Yeah, basically. And the left expects people to connect the dots themselves. People complain about their lives all the time and Democrats aren't there with easily acceptable remedies. Republicans beat the drum of "Democrats want to change your way of life!" Democrats need to counter with, "Your life sucks and you know it. Here are the ways we want to make your life better."

Yeah, basically. And the left expects people to connect the dots themselves. People complain about their lives all the time and Democrats aren't there with easily acceptable remedies. Republicans beat the drum of "Democrats want to change your way of life!" Democrats need to counter with, "Your life sucks and you know it. Here are the ways we want to make your life better."

In addition, the central theme has to fit into an 8 second sound bite and be understandable by a hyperactive fifth grader.

I have a hyperactive 6th grader and for years he's advocated for giving people more money so they can eat, have a place to live, and be safe.

Nice piece in the local alt weekly about the failures of the Dem party in Northeast Ohio. I'm pretty ignorant about the mechanics of party organizing locally, regionally, and statewide, but it seems clear to me that we need a change in the way leadership thinks about the allocation of time and resources in maintaining and growing the party. Less big money ad buys, more local organizing and infrastructure investment. This is an area that seems obvious to me that party leadership needs to elevate the younger, progressive wing of the party, which seem to clearly understand this much better.

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-an...rnout-county-democratic-party-at-a-crossroads

We are still in the throes of understanding this election, but one thing has become very clear to me: Local Democrats have to take a hard look at our party and make changes. I say this as a proud Party member and a Ward 12 Leader – making me one of the 70 official City/Ward Leaders who make up the backbone of the Cuyahoga County Democratic Party.

I have worked inside the Democratic Party. I see how it is failing Ohioans and Clevelanders in particular.

I believe that a better Party is possible. But only if we have a clear-eyed assessment of what happened this election cycle.

Cleveland started out at a deficit. The Biden campaign wrote off Ohio. We had few resources, little support and no field offices. Strategy does change when you are campaigning in a global pandemic, but the apathy towards the state was palpable. We did not have an assigned field organizer in Cuyahoga County until the fall. In a normal campaign you would be starting paid field organizers early in the summer. When my ward was finally assigned an organizer, it turned out she was based in DC.

Until mid-October, we had so few yard signs we had to ration them. Until the last weeks of the campaign, there was no Biden-specific campaign literature to hang on doors.

The Ohio Democratic Party and Chairman David Pepper had little to offer either. There was no statewide strategy communicated to us, no statewide goals. We could not access even basic campaign resources through ODP. When some of my fellow wards wanted to begin a text-messaging campaign, they got the runaround for weeks before being told they could not get access to ODP’s texting platform.

f we had a healthy local party, here is what that might have looked like.

Party leaders could have engaged Democrats early in the spring to design a plan for the cycle that everybody bought into. Most likely, each Ward or City Leader would have been given clear responsibilities and goals to hit starting in June. Each City or Ward Leader would then have mobilized their precinct representatives for their area and doled out responsibilities. We would have had regular check-ins on who was hitting their numbers. If an area was not looking good, we would send in additional help.

Here’s what it looked like instead:

There was no consistent direction or resources given from Party leadership. Each Ward or City Leader was allowed to set their own course. Because many of the Leaders are also the city councilperson for their ward or the mayor for their city, many did not have time to get any electoral work done. Many precinct slots are unfilled. There is nobody to call on. Other precinct representatives just will not do the work, having been in the role for years without having to knock a door or make a call.

In sum, there was no county-wide plan and no sense that there would have been the resources to execute it if there had been one.

Of course, some wards and cities still built successful turnout programs. Indeed, hundreds of people – including dozens that I organized personally – did show up to get work done. And I will say that where a Ward Leader, precinct representative, or a volunteer expressed interest in engaging, CCDP provided resources as best they could. Without these efforts the turnout numbers could have been even worse.

But some Democrats doing good work on an ad-hoc basis is not the same as the Party having run a successful campaign in Cuyahoga County.

Looking at the turnout numbers and specifically the decline in Cleveland, it seems clear that the lack of political organizing had a material effect on the election. Some will read this argument and think I’m advocating for the rise of machine politics. I am not.

The everyday mechanics of good political organizing—the door-knocking, the neighborhood meetings—are not about bullying our neighbors to the polls. They are about engaging people who have given up on the political process because they no longer believe it has the power to improve their lives. Organizing is about giving people reason to believe that their act of voting is a meaningful decision that is worth doing.

Why do you think the Democratic Party fails at this?

Back