• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

I just don't see driving a car ever completely going away; there will always be a certain segment of the population that will want to drive their own car. No doubt some will be glad to get a self-driving car, but I don't see it ever getting to the point that everyone will accept it. My guess is it will get a mixed response - some will go for it and some won't.

Those people will be increasingly relegated to hobbyists. People still drive classic cars from the 40s and 50s too but they are in a specialty market. 30 years form now people will still idolize gas powered self operated vehicles, but they will be a minority.

Interesting to me Uber and Lyft would have spent what they just did on Prop 22 to classify their workforce as gig workers if we’re going autonomous in a generation

Feels like they could have just spent those hundreds of millions on healthcare in the interim

You know big business would rather spend hundreds of millions on lawyers to screw over labor than just pay labor.

Political Chat Thread - All Topics & Rants Welcome

Here's an (unsolicited) update on conservative thinking in 2020 America from one of my committed Republican "friends" on Facebook who has been remarkably silent the last four years:

---------------------------------
"To my liberal friends -- congratulations on the victory. Frankly, I still don't think you ever understood why Donald Trump won in 2016 or why 71M people [again] voted for Donald Trump in 2020. Which is why I'm confident -- as my niece is learning to say -- "we'll get you next time."

To my conservative friends -- time to move beyond Donald Trump. Not the philosophy and grit but the personal attacks, gross exaggerations and/or blatant lies. Was Trump treated fairly, no. Life's not fair. Did he bring much of that on himself? Yes.

That said, we must continue to fight fiercely against censorship and labels, whether by the mainstream media, social media platforms, or individuals.

We must protect every human's right to life, liberty, and the PURSUIT of happiness.

We need to turn quickly towards 2024 and maintain our momentum.

We must become the party of FREEDOM. . We don't have to agree whether something is right or wrong if we can agree that government should not be involved. This will be a major shift in mindset.

Let people marry who they want, smoke what they want, say what they want (even if it hurts a snowflake's feelings), work as hard as they want, make as much money as they want so long as they are not infringing on yours or someone else's rights...

We can make progress alongside moderate Democrats on these fronts and in so doing achieve even greater objectives... individualism, individual rights, limited government, free markets, natural harmony of interests, etc.

We can force out the extreme left by broadening the base in the middle. Ultimately, this is what is important for the long-term health of America and our freedom."
-------------------------

The number of times I’d like to drive drunk or distracted are far, far outweighed by the number of times I want to get in my car and go without waiting. And I’m betting most people feel like that.

How often do people decide they want to go somewhere and go immediately? I feel like people usual plan to drive somewhere and then do it.

I'm cooking and realized I'm out of a crucial ingredient. It's mid party and we're almost out of beer and chips. Krispy Kreme is calling my name NOW...

Lots of reasons people get in their cars and go.

However, two different ideas are being mixed here. One is the autonomous vehicle, in which the vehicle computer and internet controlling computers do all the driving decisions. The other is individual vs community ownership of vehicles.

People view cars, to some extent, as outward signs of their personalities and lifestyles. I keep stuff i need when out in my car. Sunglasses, pen and paper, sanitizer, masks, shoes...lots of stuff. Parents with kids have 10 times that much stuff.

Also look at the various styles and colors and options. We are a long way from the Henry Ford color choice.

Cleanliness is another issue for communal vehicles. Do I want to ride in a car where some unknown dog slobbered all over the windows? I could be allergic to dogs.

Self driving vehicles are arriving by increments. Automatic transmissions. Cruise control. Adaptive cruise control. Lane keeping sensors. Parking assist. Etc. People will continue to adjust to improved technology in vehicles.

Adjusting to not having your own vehicle, designed the way you want it, with your stuff in it ready to go is going to be a much more difficult transition.

Here's an (unsolicited) update on conservative thinking in 2020 America from one of my committed Republican "friends" on Facebook who has been remarkably silent the last four years:

---------------------------------
"To my liberal friends -- congratulations on the victory. Frankly, I still don't think you ever understood why Donald Trump won in 2016 or why 71M people [again] voted for Donald Trump in 2020. Which is why I'm confident -- as my niece is learning to say -- "we'll get you next time."

To my conservative friends -- time to move beyond Donald Trump. Not the philosophy and grit but the personal attacks, gross exaggerations and/or blatant lies. Was Trump treated fairly, no. Life's not fair. Did he bring much of that on himself? Yes.

That said, we must continue to fight fiercely against censorship and labels, whether by the mainstream media, social media platforms, or individuals.

We must protect every human's right to life, liberty, and the PURSUIT of happiness.

We need to turn quickly towards 2024 and maintain our momentum.

We must become the party of FREEDOM. . We don't have to agree whether something is right or wrong if we can agree that government should not be involved. This will be a major shift in mindset.

Let people marry who they want, smoke what they want, say what they want (even if it hurts a snowflake's feelings), work as hard as they want, make as much money as they want so long as they are not infringing on yours or someone else's rights...

We can make progress alongside moderate Democrats on these fronts and in so doing achieve even greater objectives... individualism, individual rights, limited government, free markets, natural harmony of interests, etc.

We can force out the extreme left by broadening the base in the middle. Ultimately, this is what is important for the long-term health of America and our freedom."
-------------------------

this is essentially what ChrisL, NEdeac, cville, etc. believe as well

build a broad coalition of narrow ideology that pushes out the fringes

and it'll be way harder to stop a hawley with centrism than it was a trump!

I miss this gem where townie considers me a libertarian. About as nuanced as his belief that Joe Biden was really considering a gop vp because he was on his "long list". Bitter clueless Townie the idealogue warrior.

judging from the top GOP leader in the land, the current conservative platform includes "stop watching one news channel; watch another"

Find it kinda interesting that the closest state that broke for Trump is NC, currently at +1.4% (not really that close), whereas Biden won 4 states by less than 1%. Not sure if it means anything, other than of course VOTER FRAUD.

Just saw some people from back home post their Parler IDs on Facebook. Hilarious.

unknown.png

good for ben

What is that and who is it mocking? Seems like it’s mocking gender nonconformity as much or more than mocking Shapiro.

Back