• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
I figured the tunnels needs a chat thread for all the cast-off rants and discussions that don't deserve their own individual threads - Republicans are welcome if you're willing to defend your shit!

NC Beach towns are Trump strongholds - are beaches more conservative than mountains?

NC Beach towns are Trump strongholds - are beaches more conservative than mountains?

That's a good question. It say for cities, mountains are less conservative (thinking Asheville v. Wilmington, Roanoke v. Va. Beach).

Not sure about more rural areas, but I haven't spent much time in many beach areas outside of cities like I have in the mountains.

More beautiful boaters on the coast but I haven’t been to a Southern mountain lake lately to see how many Trump flags are flying.

I’m reading this book about the history of the American Indian Movement and the FBI’s actions to disrupt it. Fuck the FBI and fuck Obama for denying clemency to Leonard Peltier.

That's a good question. It say for cities, mountains are less conservative (thinking Asheville v. Wilmington, Roanoke v. Va. Beach).

Not sure about more rural areas, but I haven't spent much time in many beach areas outside of cities like I have in the mountains.
It may just be my perception now because I'm at Carolina Beach and there are Trump flags everywhere. We're trying to strategically avoid going anywhere busy because of how many people arent wearing masks.

It may just be my perception now because I'm at Carolina Beach and there are Trump flags everywhere. We're trying to strategically avoid going anywhere busy because of how many people arent wearing masks.

Lots of non-resident property owners in beach towns who are nouveau riche rednecks from small towns around NC/VA.

Mountain towns are pretty uniformly red. Beach towns have a pretty gap between locals (pretty even mix, probably leaning liberal) vs tourists/non-resident property owners.

Lots of non-resident property owners in beach towns who are nouveau riche rednecks from small towns around NC/VA.

Mountain towns are pretty uniformly red. Beach towns have a pretty gap between locals (pretty even mix, probably leaning liberal) vs tourists/non-resident property owners.

That's a good analysis. I remember going to Sparta/Galax a few times a year with my friends during the Obama-era, and not remembering it feeling very political(?). I havent been back in the past few years, but I assume that's changed

I’m reading this book about the history of the American Indian Movement and the FBI’s actions to disrupt it. Fuck the FBI and fuck Obama for denying clemency to Leonard Peltier.

I read Killers of the Flower Moon which was colossally fucked up but only a tiny blip in the history of relations.

what percentage of political flags flown by supporters all time are trump flags? got to be 99% right? like has anyone else ever even had a flag?

The bold is your problem. Although I agree with BBD about the composition of people in coastal NC towns.

Back in March, I took my sisters to Ocean Isle and they were blown away at the Trump and confederate merchandise that dominated the retail shops

As a leftist I feel like a major hypocrite using Air BnB, but it makes traveling so much more affordable and its much easier for families. For instance - I'm staying at a 2bd/1bth air bnb a block away from the beach with my wife, daughter, my parents, and our 2 small dogs for $150 a night+ fees. Even the cheapest motel rates we found forn 2 rooms that allowed dogs was more than twice as expensive. At the same time, I know that Air BnB is making tourist locations completely unaffordable for people to live, and its starving the hospitality industry.

As a leftist I feel like a major hypocrite using Air BnB, but it makes traveling so much more affordable and its much easier for families. For instance - I'm staying at a 2bd/1bth air bnb a block away from the beach with my wife, daughter, my parents, and our 2 small dogs for $150 a night+ fees. Even the cheapest motel rates we found forn 2 rooms that allowed dogs was more than twice as expensive. At the same time, I know that Air BnB is making tourist locations completely unaffordable for people to live, and its starving the hospitality industry.

I mean it's tough nowadays. Do you use Amazon? You have your shop reselling Nikes, which are obviously problematic when you think about it. Are you on an iPhone? Sort of impossible in this day and age. Here's a good series from Gizmodo where a reporter tried to go without tech giants like Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, Google and Facebook. In her words, it was hell. https://gizmodo.com/c/goodbye-big-five

edit: this isn't meaning to criticize you for hypocrisy. it's just more stating that the way our world is now you have to deal with this.

I mean it's tough nowadays. Do you use Amazon? You have your shop reselling Nikes, which are obviously problematic when you think about it. Are you on an iPhone? Sort of impossible in this day and age. Here's a good series from Gizmodo where a reporter tried to go without tech giants like Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, Google and Facebook. In her words, it was hell. https://gizmodo.com/c/goodbye-big-five

edit: this isn't meaning to criticize you for hypocrisy. it's just more stating that the way our world is now you have to deal with this.

Yeah, you're right - taken piecemeal, nearly everything we do is problematic in one way or another. I just hate viewing my life in that context. One positive thing about my shoe business is that I'm upcycling at a "fair" rate - hopefully I'm allowing people to save money *and* avoid buying new. My ultimate goal with that project is to help lower income parents buy more affordable shoes for their children. I can clean, recondition, and sell a pair of Jordans for 60, where a new pair of kids size jordans cost 140

Back