• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

It really is starting to feel like we elected a president whose motto should be "that aint my problem bud" and congressional leaders who like to play act indignation, but wont make any actual changes so long as they are making money.

Political Chat Thread - All Topics & Rants Welcome

I can't believe you would just assume that I'm missing the point of the post. That's actually kind of messed up.

At least I'm assuming that you're assuming that.

is this content policing

That was days ago, are you really still angry about it?

Last edited:

content policing all the way down

Anybody that knows me in real life is aware that I don’t understand passive aggressiveness. When I am frustrated or hurt by someone I either let it go immediately or I confront them about it until it’s resolved, and I encourage everyone I know to be as open about their problems with me.

Anybody that knows me in real life is aware that I don’t understand passive aggressiveness. When I am frustrated or hurt by someone I either let it go immediately or I confront them about it until it’s resolved, and I encourage everyone I know to be as open about their problems with me.

giphy.gif

I understand the confusion. This is a huge departure from your boards persona.

I understand the confusion. This is a huge departure from your boards persona.

I only posted that explanation in reference to my question for Kory, I don’t want to have a conversation about myself right now. When I told him that I thought he was content policing, I wasn’t intending to aggravate or create hard feelings.

Just read an interesting research paper from the Roosevelt Institute regarding causes for markups during the Pandemic:

https://rooseveltinstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/RI_PricesProfitsPower_202206.pdf

Prices, Profits, and Power: An Analysis of 2021 Firm-Level Power

“Policy Implications

While the idea that we are facing the threat of a wage-price spiral is becoming conventional wisdom, this brief and other research finds that changes to labor and worker compensation are not driving factors in recent markups. Indeed, workers are not the only economic agents that affect business pricing decisions. If recent research on shareholder primacy is any indication, capital plays a much bigger role than labor in C-suite decision-making calculus (Palladino 2019; Kinder, Bach, and Stateler 2022). Financial analysts, asset managers, activist investors, and a broader group of shareholders arguably have a strong role in setting incentives toward upward pricing pressures—a phenomenon that could be described as a price-profit spiral. In this account, the decision-makers in publicly traded firms are sensitive to shareholder pressure to consistently meet short-term earnings expectations and to distribute large proportions of these earnings in share repurchases and dividends. In an inflationary environment, firms that enjoy the discretion and power to adjust markups are more attractive to financial analysts and asset managers (“Pricing Power Is Highly Prized on Wall Street” 2021; Alloway 2022). If indeed companies’ pricing strategies are responsive to these sorts of short-term capital market pressures, the policymaker playbook to curbing inflation will have to expand.
Even though these results may be specific to the inflation we’ve seen in 2021, markups being unusually and suddenly high means there is room for them to reverse with little economic harm and with likely societal benefit, including lower prices in the short term and less inequality and potentially more innovation in the medium term. We believe the evidence we have presented strengthens arguments for an all-of-government administrative, regulatory, and legislative approach to tackling inflation, which should include demand, supply, and market power interventions…”

Basically the paper said that current inflation is being driven by Increased Demand, Broken Down Supply, and Market Power (where firms with outsized monopoly power in their industries are increasing markups discretionarily at the behest of shareholders, where there is no competing lower cost alternative for consumers. That same market pressure is driving smaller firms to increase markups to compete for shareholders.

loving the commercials in NoVa "tell congress not to take away our 2 day prime shipping!!"

Somehow I missed this analysis
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...cratic-much-less-likely-vote-than-homeowners/

Report: Renters lean more Democratic, but much less likely to vote, than homeowners

By Michele Lerner
October 30, 2018 at 5:30 a.m. EDT

…The analysis, done just ahead of the midterm elections, found that if renter turnout in the 2016 presidential election had matched homeowner turnout, Hillary Clinton would have won four key swing states (Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin). Researchers estimate that if only renters had voted and all homeowners had abstained from voting, Donald Trump would have won just five states. However, while 67 percent of eligible homeowners voted, just 49 percent of eligible renters voted in the 2016 election. Approximately 30 percent of the eligible voting population are renters.

Researchers estimate that among homeowners who voted, Trump beat Clinton in the 2016 election by a margin of six percentage points, but that Clinton won the renter vote by 30 percentage points. The breakdown on political lines between renters and homeowners was similar when researchers viewed the voting patterns for congressional races.
The political divide between renters and homeowners isn’t based on red-state-vs.-blue-state geographic boundaries. Even in states that Trump won by a margin of more than 10 percentage points, renters voted for Clinton by a margin of nine percentage points.”

https://www.apartmentlist.com/research/renter-voting-preferences

I wonder if an analysis that controls for age and income would show such an effect of renters vs. homeowners. It's quite possible there's an effect from renters not voting because they aren't established in a community, but I'm curious how strong it is.

renters skew young and young people vote at lower rates.

renters skew young and young people vote at lower rates.

Sure, age is potentially a confounding variable that could be controlled for, but that’s not really a good excuse for you to avoid making a class analysis of voting participation. Seems useful to consider nuance deeper than just “voters good/non voters bad”

Sure, age is potentially a confounding variable that could be controlled for, but that’s not really a good excuse for you to avoid making a class analysis of voting participation. Seems useful to consider nuance deeper than just “voters good/non voters bad”

quite an assumption you are making.

Back