• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Can someone summarize why the cops shot Walter Wallace Jr.? I admittedly haven't been following the story...Obviously there aren't ever good reason for a cop to shoot anyone, but what are the "reasons" that cop defenders are spewing? I can get more info here from a 3 sentence post than I can reading 5 stories of it on google.

Also, why in the hell don't cops shoot these guys in the leg and throw cuffs on them? Why always go for the kill shot? That's something I've never understood.

Can someone summarize why the cops shot Walter Wallace Jr.? I admittedly haven't been following the story...Obviously there aren't ever good reason for a cop to shoot anyone, but what are the "reasons" that cop defenders are spewing? I can get more info here from a 3 sentence post than I can reading 5 stories of it on google.

It sounds like neighbors/family called the police to report a mentally unstable person. Cops showed up and drew guns, family tried to explain he was bi-polar and having mental issues and not to shoot. He was walking towards the police while holding a knife. They told him to drop it a few times while backing up and he didn't. Eventually a cop told his partner to shoot him and they both did. The family isn't blaming the officers for their actions but the police in how they handle these situations from the start.

Video is meant to be released next Wednesday. As for shooting someone in the leg - pretty sure the whole idea behind shooting someone is that they're a threat to your life. Shooting someone in the leg doesn't necessarily end that threat. Also most people who shoot weapons in these circumstances have horrible accuracy when aiming for a torso, even less chance they'd hit an arm or leg. The cops didn't have tasers - though from what I've read they likely wouldn't use a taser on someone with a knife.

It sounds like neighbors/family called the police to report a mentally unstable person. Cops showed up and drew guns, family tried to explain he was bi-polar and having mental issues and not to shoot. He was walking towards the police while holding a knife. They told him to drop it a few times while backing up and he didn't. Eventually a cop told his partner to shoot him and they both did. The family isn't blaming the officers for their actions but the police in how they handle these situations from the start.

Video is meant to be released next Wednesday. As for shooting someone in the leg - pretty sure the whole idea behind shooting someone is that they're a threat to your life. Shooting someone in the leg doesn't necessarily end that threat. Also most people who shoot weapons in these circumstances have horrible accuracy when aiming for a torso, even less chance they'd hit an arm or leg. The cops didn't have tasers - though from what I've read they likely wouldn't use a taser on someone with a knife.

Thank you. Sounds like another tragic and senseless death. The knife better be axe murderer, Michael Myers style in order for a cop to justify shooting. It blows my mind that (2?3?) officers don't have the skill to disarm 1 man with a knife.

His family has a really emotionally stable and thought provoking view on this...Instead of calling out the individuals they're calling out the police as a whole. Curious what their view on the protests and riots are.

To varying degrees, my wife’s family are conservative Christian Fox News nut types. We try to avoid talking politics with them.

At 6 am our time...3 am California time (where he lives) her father texts her to say...”if you love me, please don’t vote”.

Good grief.

Yeah, I definitely don’t want cops thinking they can use their firearms as a non-lethal deterrent. That would lead to more weapons drawn and more senseless shootings. Plus trying to hit specific areas with a pistol is difficult in controlled target shooting. There’s a reason they’re trained to aim for mass.

Bottom line is that the police don’t need to be in these situations to begin with.

This is precisely the kind of situation I was talking about a few weeks ago with the Parscale incident. Send in armed cops for protection, fine, but this is a mental health incident, not a criminal incident. There needs be some sort of mental health professional on the scene to de-escalate the situation.

To varying degrees, my wife’s family are conservative Christian Fox News nut types. We try to avoid talking politics with them.

At 6 am our time...3 am California time (where he lives) her father texts her to say...”if you love me, please don’t vote”.

Good grief.

They haven’t moved out of that west coast liberal hellscape yet?

They haven’t moved out of that west coast liberal hellscape yet?

They tried.

They sold a beautiful place on a canal in Ventura to move to a lakefront home in Texas whut had cheaper waterfront property about an hour NE of Houston. Everyone told them they’d hate the climate but they moved there anyway having only assessed it in the winter. In almost no time they realized the heat and humidity, fire ants and alligators made the place...intolerable! So now they’re in Santa Barbara but renting a place in TX and claiming residency there for the lower taxes.

🙄

They tried.

They sold a beautiful place on a canal in Ventura to move to a lakefront home in Texas whut had cheaper waterfront property about an hour NE of Houston. Everyone told them they’d hate the climate but they moved there anyway having only assessed it in the winter. In almost no time they realized the heat and humidity, fire ants and alligators made the place...intolerable! So now they’re in Santa Barbara but renting a place in TX and claiming residency there for the lower taxes.

Wow, they sound awesome. I’m struggling to imagine a scenario where fire ants would force me to move to a different state.

...I’m struggling to imagine a scenario where I’d make my child’s love for me contingent on how or whether they vote.

I'm struggling to think of a situation where my children and their children's future wouldn't be my primary voting concern.

They tried.

🙄

Santa Barbara is stupidly expensive.

Feels like God, karma, Mother Nature, every spiritual entity out there is screaming out against Trump.

Back