• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Fast Food Fry?

I love Arby's sandwiches but rarely every go there because I hate those stupid curly fries. They used to have a choice of regular fries but did away with them years ago. McD is hard to beat, I also like Chick-Fil-A's waffles fries. Wendy's and BK are fine. 5 Guys are great. Haven't had the others enough to judge.

I love Arby's sandwiches but rarely every go there because I hate those stupid curly fries. They used to have a choice of regular fries but did away with them years ago. McD is hard to beat, I also like Chick-Fil-A's waffles fries. Wendy's and BK are fine. 5 Guys are great. Haven't had the others enough to judge.

This belongs in the unpopular opinions thread. Arby's fries are light years better than their fake roast beef meat slurry sandwiches (which I also still don't mind). And they did away with the regular fries because no one would order them in favor of the delicious curly fries.

Five Guys cooks theirs fresh every time, but while it's cool that they use different potatoes from all over the place it seems like they can't land on the right fry timing plus they get rushed, so they seem to get pulled early a little too often. I also think it's weird they even bother with a cup - the cup ones always end up soggy and greasy.

This is actually another reason FG wins in my book. I actually like the soggy greasy fries, especially contrasted with the variable crispiness of the rest of the cup/bushel.

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!

Five Guys fries are amazing. Winner, esp. with malt vinegar.
Chick-Fil-A is a close second; true that they suck when cold but I am not sure any fry is good cold.... maybe Five Guys.
Arby's are tasty too.
Do not understand the love for Wendy's fries. Texture is weird and taste is meh.

This belongs in the unpopular opinions thread. Arby's fries are light years better than their fake roast beef meat slurry sandwiches (which I also still don't mind). And they did away with the regular fries because no one would order them in favor of the delicious curly fries.

Arby's curly fries are outstanding when hot and dipped in their spicy catsup. Especially good when paired with their surprisingly good Reuben.

Just had some Shake Shack fries for the first time and they are legit. They do crinkle cut better than Culver's. Might be my new favorite, but haven't had others in a while. I don't think I've had Wendy's, Arby's, BK fries in over a decade. Chick fil a fries are meh, and Five Guys can be decent. In and Out's are an embarrassment. Old school McD's were the goat.

Did y'all have the Shake Shack fries when they tried to do fresh cut in store? That was a big fail for them.

CFA are wildly overrated.
Mcd's can be good.
5G's are occasionally very good. Way too often a mushy mess.
Do like Arby's.

If you HAVE to use a condiment then the fries are not great but they should be good on their own.

Now about those tater tots...

Well done tots are superior to fries. #HotTake.
mostly that's not going to be fast food though. Way to inconsistent in most places.

This seems like a good thread to post: do people prefer soft or crispy chips at Winston restaurants (Putters, Village Tavern, etc). I'm not sure I even knew Putters offered crispy chips until I heard someone order them a few years after graduation.

Went through drive thru at dairio today. Pulled away with my food without looking in the bag. They didn’t give me ketchup for my fries or napkins, and I was on my way out of town. Fortunately the fries were good enough without ketchup. To me, the true test of a fries deliciousness is if you can enjoy eating it without dipping sauce.

Tangentially related, though from a Dukie...

Last edited:
This seems like a good thread to post: do people prefer soft or crispy chips at Winston restaurants (Putters, Village Tavern, etc). I'm not sure I even knew Putters offered crispy chips until I heard someone order them a few years after graduation.

Buffalo chips > mix soft/crisp > soft > crisp. I already know you disagree, but entering this into the record.

Mickey D’s the best and most consistent over the decades. Just a tried and tested combo of potato and salt. Haven’t liked Wendy’s fries since they changed them like a decade ago. I think they changed them twice, actually. Original fries weren’t great, but ok. Arby’s curly fries are just gross. Don’t get the appeal at all. Chic Fil A solid, but have to be in mood for them. Steak Shake solid, not spectacular. Haven’t had Checkers. BK has never made a good fry. Whataburger very good but inconsistent. Sometimes almost as good as McD’s, but burgers are so good you don’t really think about the fries. Five Guys great, but don’t think they belong in this discussion. Completely different kind of fry (boardwalk style with vinegar), and not really the same type of fast food.

Curly fries are for little kids and grown men who still eat ranch dressing.

Curly fries are for little kids and grown men who still eat ranch dressing.

Ranch dressing mixed with good hot sauce in a 1:1 ratio is pretty damn good for dipping all kinds of things, including curly fries #hottake #possiblyunpopularopinion?

Back