Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 101 to 117 of 117

Thread: Best Fast Food Fry?

  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    This may be the worst take in the history of the boards.

    Onions either accentuate or take on the flavor of what they touch. Frying anything makes it better. Frying onions makes them amazing.
    You can't fry out evil. They aren't as bad if they are some in a large volume pot that gets boiled, like chili or jambalaya, but that merely renders them an unnecessary evil. I dabble in cooking both, and usually replace onions with a jalapeno or bell pepper to maintain the crunchy vegetable texture.

    The worst is when you get a burger topping that has been in the vicinity of raw onions. Defilers of all that they touch.

  2. #102
    Lol yeah this is a terrible take. There's a reason pretty much every culture in the world uses onions in a large percentage of their dishes. Cheap and delicious with tons of different texture/flavor profiles, depending on how prepared.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by deactherunner View Post
    You can't fry out evil. They aren't as bad if they are some in a large volume pot that gets boiled, like chili or jambalaya, but that merely renders them an unnecessary evil. I dabble in cooking both, and usually replace onions with a jalapeno or bell pepper to maintain the crunchy vegetable texture.

    The worst is when you get a burger topping that has been in the vicinity of raw onions. Defilers of all that they touch.
    Hard to pick out the worst part of this post. Bell pepper as a replacement for onion is a unique twist on a shit take though

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by 06deacon View Post
    Hard to pick out the worst part of this post. Bell pepper as a replacement for onion is a unique twist on a shit take though
    That one mostly is a jambalaya solution-was referring to the Holy Trinity reference that someone posted.

    Anyway, I'll confine the remainder of my onion takes to the Unpopular Facts thread, except the first of these fry takes which is relevant to this thread.

    Many fries are ruined by onion powder, which is why I avoid seasoned fries in general.

    Not a fan of beer battering either.

    Most underrated fry condiment is those aji pepper sauces that you get at Peruvian restaurants.

    Burger King changed their fry formula like 20 years ago, and hasn't had a good fry since then. Wendy's are pretty good.

  5. #105
    I think I'm with ya on raw onions, especially on fast food burgers. Used to not like onions at all, but I've matured in my mid-30's to like them. Also the wife puts a shitton of them in everything. Have liked fried onions for a good bit now.

  6. #106
    A very thin slice of red onion and some dill pickles are delightful on top of a burger. Would rather have those than lettuce/tomato if Iíve got to chose.

  7. #107
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    112,942
    Season sliced onions and let them sit for a bit. Youíll have seasoned slightly wilted raw onions that are fine on their own. Then you can make the rest into caramelized onions.

  8. #108
    A burger without onions is the culinary equivalent of communism.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Season sliced onions and let them sit for a bit. Youíll have seasoned slightly wilted raw onions that are fine on their own. Then you can make the rest into caramelized onions.
    I'll raise you letting them sit in oil/vinegar/spices for just a bit. Quick marinated/pickled red onions are en elite topping on lots of foods.

  10. #110
    pickles (all types) are my favorite food. if not on a sandwich, I'll add them. if they're already there, I go for extra.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by BarcaDeac View Post
    pickles (all types) are my favorite food. if not on a sandwich, I'll add them. if they're already there, I go for extra.
    The Japs take pickling to another level. Check out some amazing breakfast pickle moves there.

    https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Pick.../dp/480531530X

  12. #112
    Yeah I hate raw onions, but if you're making burgers you have time to pickle onions. Combine a couple vinegars and some sugar or maple syrup in a small saucepan with salt/pepper, then slice some red onions super thin, put them in a bowl or jar and pour the liquid over them, keep them submerged then go cook the burgers. In the 20+ minutes before the burgers are headed for the table you have awesome onions, really doesn't take much more time than slicing them if you plan ahead.

  13. #113
    pickled onions rule on tacos

  14. #114
    Elite NBA Defender
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    38,298
    Quote Originally Posted by wakelaw13 View Post
    A very thin slice of red onion and some dill pickles are delightful on top of a burger. Would rather have those than lettuce/tomato if Iíve got to chose.
    Why not all four ?

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    Why not all four ?
    Oh I do, was just saying that onion/pickle are more crucial for me than lettuce/tomato, and I love tomatos.

    Normal burgers at the Wakelaw house are ground chuck/sirloin, seasoned an hour before with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, cooked on the BGE, normally cheddar but flexible on the cheese, toasted Martin's potato roll, your choice of sauce, green leaf lettuce, vine ripened tomato, dill pickles, red onion.

  16. #116
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    112,942
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerswood View Post
    I'll raise you letting them sit in oil/vinegar/spices for just a bit. Quick marinated/pickled red onions are en elite topping on lots of foods.
    I did leave out tossing them in oil. Iíll add vinegar next time.

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by deactherunner View Post

    Ranch dressing sucks too, but ...
    Well at least you said something true.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •