• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Interview with Coach Forbes (37+ minutes)

37 minutes ?

giphy.gif

Yeah, I was hoping for some bullet points.

I listened to parts of the 37 minutes... Mostly just the questions in case I was interested in the answers. Not really.

Interesting that he just completed his move to Winston over the last week. Interesting to see him without glasses. Still hasn't met the players yet. That's just the first 3:30. Give it a listen.

Last edited:
Interesting that he just completed his move to Winston over the last week. Interesting to see him without glasses. Still hasn't met the players yet. That's just the first 3:30. Give it a listen.

When was it recorded? Pretty sure he posted pictures of his meetings with the players on Twitter.

Maybe early July. He said he lived in Johnson City for all of June and he had lived in Winston for a week. Said he was going to be meeting players in the coming week or so.

Yeah this was recorded a couple weeks ago. Obviously he has met the players and the Wake social accounts have been putting out bits of footage the last week.

Forbes is on the new NABC Committee on Racial Reconcilation.
https://www.nabc.com/nabc_releases/2020/reconciliation

He's asked the new Dean of the Divinity School to mentor the basketball team.
https://divinity.wfu.edu/academics/faculty/jonathan-l-walton/

Talked about Joe Hugley (Director of Player Relations) playing a pivotal role as well.

He also talked about being raised in an all-white small town but taught to love everybody. Wants to be active in the community talking to children about racial issues.

Good interview. Man, I love this guy. Hope he gets to coach this year.

Good interview indeed. Forbes is very open and candid. His comments on the importance of listening and reading aren't typical coach speak.

He is very consistent in his answers. He knows who he is, which comes across as genuine and down to earth.

Did he say anything about Wake's two previous basketball coaches when they were hired?

Here's what he said when Manning was hired at Tulsa:

Now that Manning is a college head coach, what's most important for the former Kansas assistant?

"He's got to get a staff with lots of experience. I mean, we could have said the same thing basically about Roy Williams when Roy Williams took over at Kansas. He had never been a head coach, ever," ESPN's Dick Vitale said during a teleconference. "I think people with no experience - I'm telling you, I've been around that kid. I call (Manning) a kid. He's not a kid anymore, but I've been around him, and he's a star in waiting ... with his background as a player and his background as a guy with his dad and his dad's name and his name, I think he'd be a natural - I think sometimes that experience factor can be overrated a little bit."

https://tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/...cle_868ee065-5670-5aea-8d64-273f6f69b938.html

oh man, i just gave this a listen and in the first 20 seconds the host unfortunately says, "the newly acquitted , uh newly announced Head Coach".

Back