• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN Investigation of the NBA and its academies in China

Can’t focus on one thing unless you focus on everything. It’s why All Lives Matter.

Trump has tried to do all kinds of business with China. Just because much has been a failure doesn’t mean his hands are clean in this. He also owes them a shit-ton of money. Get out of here with that bullshit you racist fuck.

Exactly. Been calling out China his entire time. But the NBA can't get out of their own way on this one--this is where all the basketball millionaires are having all their own brands of shoes made by all the Chinese slaves! Bron needs to pay them reparations.

Are you aware of how much money Trump and his company owes the Chinese? Makes you wonder...

Are you aware of how much money Trump and his company owes the Chinese? Makes you wonder...

Are you aware of how much the U.S. owes the Chinese? and how much intellectual property the Chinese have stolen from us over the past 30+ years? They have had our designs and had knockoffs ready & built almost before our original items went on sale. Take the NBA out of China and get our manufacturing back in the U.S. Let's have slef-righteous jerks like Pop & Kerr talk about the China dealings and all their slave trade and child labor going on over there!

Trump's an asshole.

That does not excuse the blatant and unforgivable hypocrisy of the NBA and its defenders. Where is the Hong Kong matters or Free the Uighurs from concentration camps?

I really don't care if Lebron et al are hypocrites-they aren't running for office or up for a Nobel prize. I care that they are benefiting from a humanitarian crisis. Bringing up hypocrisy seem like an underhanded way for some people to undermine a social justice campaign that they aren't comfortable with (see Trump focusing his criticism on Popovich and Kerr). As much as people like to bring up Lebron, the owners bear 90% of the responsibility for these atrocities. Lebron didn't suspend Daryl Morey, and neither did Pop or Kerr. The thing that kills me about this is that the NBA and other large corporation kowtowing to China is one of the few issues where 95% of Americans agree, at least if they were asked about it on it's own. Unfortunately, a decent segment of that 95% would rather silence our own outspoken athletes than actually do somehting about it.

The NBA is doing a great job on blm and equality here. They look hypocritical because greedy owners need to get the fuck out of China. Lebron gets blasted because he wants to market space jam 2 in china. Shutting down protests is the owners decision though, not his. Owners are the only ones who can get the league out of there.

curious what the list of large corporations that have refused do business with china

Not many. But they don't usually gag their officers for speaking out. It is an issue in my congressional district.

name one that has said they wont manufacture or sell their products in china

point noted, but are you trying to defend the NBA here, FYC?

literally no large corporation is speaking out or changing their behavior inre to china and their truly awful humanatrarian record. but now the "America First!" crowd suddenly turns into a bunch of global citizens who are so concerned with Hong Kong just so they can seize the opportunity to tell black people to shut up when voicing their concerns with social justice issues in America

capitalism trumps all in america, including the nba, and it is sad. but the bad faith here is just laughable

Samsung, hasbro and GoPro have significantly reduced their footprint to name a few.

Do they have academies with young kids? The NBA got lied to and should take their ball and go home.

Again, NBA is doing some good work. They even tried in China. Kill the hypocrisy and get out or at least shut down the academy program and let people criticize China.

literally no large corporation is speaking out or changing their behavior inre to china and their truly awful humanatrarian record. but now the "America First!" crowd suddenly turns into a bunch of global citizens who are so concerned with Hong Kong just so they can seize the opportunity to tell black people to shut up when voicing their concerns with social justice issues in America

capitalism trumps all in america, including the nba, and it is sad. but the bad faith here is just laughable

I'm not defending the whataboutism of the right and the Trump crowd, but I also think it cuts both ways

the NBA can try to be the league of wokeness with their performative jersey names, but if they want to do that (and I hope they do) then they ought to hold themselves to a higher standard

Samsung, hasbro and GoPro have significantly reduced their footprint to name a few.

lmfao https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/22/...t-of-china-but-not-necessarily-to-the-us.html

More companies leaving China does not necessarily represent a win for American workers. Many companies that are moving some facilities out of China — including Samsung, Hasbro, Apple, Nintendo and GoPro — are relocating to countries where wages are even lower. While U.S. trade with China fell sharply last year, imports from Vietnam, Taiwan and Mexico swelled.

I'm a globalist. Free trade. But punish countries when they lie to you as a company.

Trumps trade agenda sucks.

I'm not defending the whataboutism of the right and the Trump crowd, but I also think it cuts both ways

the NBA can try to be the league of wokeness with their performative jersey names, but if they want to do that (and I hope they do) then they ought to hold themselves to a higher standard

i don't leave that responsibility to POC to sacrifice money and make hard decisions first because they are speaking out about things that directly impact them. to think they should be held to a higher standard because they actually care about social justice in the us makes no sense

let's not give apple, or johnson and johnson, or GE any grief because they don't try to make positive impact elsewhere

I'm not laying it at the feet of the players

I think it's on Silver and the league

give me something stronger than whataboutism for your argument here

Back