• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN Investigation of the NBA and its academies in China

i mean what are you really saying? i doubt a majority of the players want silver to cut off all ties to china, reducing the NBA revenue by billions, and hence the salary cap, and hence their salaries.

why do we demand adam silver to be the first CEO of a multi-billion dollar corporation to do this?

what is the government doing about this as it pursues trade deals with china? nothing. why is this an "nba" controversy

But I don't support our government response to trade with China or on Hong Kong or the uighers.

The cap on dissent and the horrid academies put the NBA in the spotlight. Like I said it is an issue in my districts house race.

Not the NBA, but ivestmwnt in China. My district couldn't give a fuck about the NBA.

The Trump administration is cracking down on Democrat led cities like China is cracking down on Hong Kong and Trump supporters think they have some moral high ground against the NBA? Get out with that nonsense.

And this discussion misses that the NBA obviously isn’t making the concessions China wants in order to get the NBA back into China. So the NBA footprint is smaller as well.

Didn't I just say I don't support the government on China and supported President Obama in trying to check and punish China?

i mean what are you really saying? i doubt a majority of the players want silver to cut off all ties to china, reducing the NBA revenue by billions, and hence the salary cap, and hence their salaries.

why do we demand adam silver to be the first CEO of a multi-billion dollar corporation to do this?

what is the government doing about this as it pursues trade deals with china? nothing. why is this an "nba" controversy

because it's the company I care about that is censoring public speech about Hong Kong and human rights issues

I can only speak for myself, but I've tried to avoid consuming certain products and companies who don't adhere to certain standards I set

the thing about the NBA is they are *the* professional basketball league in the world, so it's a lot different than saying "i'll buy this shirt instead of that shirt"

I get your point, but it's also weird that you're going to bat for the NBA on human rights abuses

i mean trump is friendly with dictators, all that have terrible humanitarian records. kim jong un, ergodan, and often even xi.

the people loudest about the nba thing dgaf about this really

I also think there is a ton of jingoist bullshit re: China coming from the right -- so it's not an easy issue

I just don't think a defense of NBA participation in participation in bad practices is a good thing

Reallly? I hare trump. Trash him on this all the time. Never trumper
Voting Biden.

Just close the fucking academies. The story supports that now.

I also think there is a ton of jingoist bullshit re: China coming from the right -- so it's not an easy issue

I just don't think a defense of NBA participation in participation in bad practices is a good thing

You can defend the NBA social justice stance against false equivalency BS though.

Easy solution. Pull out of China. Completely. Tomorrow.

Ph said immediately following this, "This should be the straw."

You have to close the academies and open up speech. You flat out said it.

they should definitely close the academies, it seems like they'll do that.

as far as silencing dissent, a single tweet cost the nba hundreds of millions of dollars. no business is going to let that continue to happen. the nba is a business. juice i guess youre saying the nba should literally sacrifice billions because its the right thing to do, which is not how anything works in the world even if its true

God damnit. One of the worst parts about Trump is that now people use him as a bar the rest of the world should be held to. We know Trump is an awful piece of shit. Being “better than Trump” shouldn’t be the standard we hold ourselves too.

It reminds me of the eta of unwiped ass. Being better than redacted shouldn’t be what we were looking for.

Also comparing Chinas response in Hong Kong to Trumps response in Portland in incomprehensibly stupid and ignores 100s of years of history.

they should definitely close the academies, it seems like they'll do that.

as far as silencing dissent, a single tweet cost the nba hundreds of millions of dollars. no business is going to let that continue to happen. the nba is a business. juice i guess youre saying the nba should literally sacrifice billions because its the right thing to do, which is not how anything works in the world even if its true

I guess I am saying they should stand up for human rights and not muzzle those who speak out

Miss me with the money argument unless you’re saying that how wrong something is is changes based on how much money is at stake

Back