• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New 10 Game 2020 ACC Football Schedule Model Announced

Nah, it's a bad idea. You don't even play close to a round robin in college football, and teams' schedules vary wildly. A team that finishes 7-1 in conference and 11-1 overall that loses by a couple on the road to another 7-1 in conference team (who lost to a worse opponent) and is thereby shut out of their conference title game shouldn't automatically be disqualified from consideration

We go through this every year but that team who lost their conference championship got their shot to beat a good team to advance toward a championship and blew it. They don’t deserve another shot over another conference champ especially if conferences are only playing each other.

This season isn't going to happen. No use getting worked up over a plan destined to fail.

We go through this every year but that team who lost their conference championship got their shot to beat a good team to advance toward a championship and blew it. They don’t deserve another shot over another conference champ especially if conferences are only playing each other.

The other team lost too but their loss goes completely unpunished? It puts too much emphasis on some games and eliminates any emphasis on others, particularly in the case of non-conference play

And I'm admittedly referring to a more normal year than this one, though regardless I don't like the idea of completely ruling out teams that don't win their conference

The other team lost too but their loss goes completely unpunished? It puts too much emphasis on some games and eliminates any emphasis on others, particularly in the case of non-conference play

So your problem is the plan puts too much emphasis on the Conference Championship Game and not enough emphasis on the regular season games that teams win to get to the Conference Championship Game?

Seems like your problem is with the whole concept of playoffs.

I'm cool with a playoff. In order to get the best teams in it though you need to assess all elements of the very small sample size that is the college football regular season. Applying conditions like 100% needing to win the right tiebreakers to make and win a conference championship game doesn't accomplish that goal

I'm cool with a playoff. In order to get the best teams in it though you need to assess all elements of the very small sample size that is the college football regular season. Applying conditions like 100% needing to win the right tiebreakers to make and win a conference championship game doesn't accomplish that goal

Ok. What criteria do you have that are better than winning to make a conference championship game and winning that game?

Just let the conferences come up with their way to determine the best team then put those best teams in a playoff. It’s not difficult.

I’d rather determine a championship based on who actually wins rather than who a committee thinks would win.

Last edited:
The P5 champs and three at large teams selected by the committee. That way you reward conference champions and can still come closer to the goal of getting the best teams in. For example, if AL beats UGA in the SECCG, but UGA is clearly one of the best bight teams in the country, they get in. That plan would also allow for a team like Boise State during years when they are really good.

Clemson announces move to SEC.

Doubt that will happen. It’d be much tougher for Clemson to win the conference every year.
However, if they did leave, that would open the door for ND to join full time.

The P5 champs and three at large teams selected by the committee. That way you reward conference champions and can still come closer to the goal of getting the best teams in. For example, if AL beats UGA in the SECCG, but UGA is clearly one of the best bight teams in the country, they get in. That plan would also allow for a team like Boise State during years when they are really good.

I like this. I do think you should reward the best conference champ (outside of the P5) with an automatic bid. That still leaves 2 wild card spots available. Possibly forces Notre Dame's hand into full membership. This also will shut the mouths of annoying dipshits like UCF claiming fake National Championships. They would have their moment to get destroyed by Alabama. Oh, and fuck App St. Go Deacs.

Doubt that will happen. It’d be much tougher for Clemson to win the conference every year.
However, if they did leave, that would open the door for ND to join full time.

Yeah, it's OBVIOUS that Clemson's not leaving the ACC and the only reason ND would join this conference is they see it as an easier route to the national championship than continuing as an independent.

Or even if Georgia wins the SECCG and Alabama still gets into the playoff as one of the four best teams like 2017. I'm tired of having this conversation. A playoff of mediocre PAC12 and MAC champions is dumb and just adds a week of blowouts.

Two more games for Georgia against SEC West teams? I feel soooooooooooo sorry for them.

Would love to see them get LSU; they already have Auburn and Alabama.

Since you're sooooooooo interested, the initial proposal is to add the next two teams on the rotating cross divisional schedule, which for Georgia would be Mississippi State and Arkansas, both of which have new coaches this year. Florida would add Alabama and Texas A&M under that proposal on top of already-scheduled LSU and Mississippi (which also has a new coach).

ETA: Aside from pulling opponents out of a hat, any method of assigining two additional SEC West opponents to Florida's and Georgia's schedule will almost certainly result in Florida being given two tougher opponents than Georgia.

I read an article that advocated for Alabama not being assigned Florida as an opponent to try to keep them somewhat clean for the playoff too as they already have to play LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas A&M and Auburn (plus the SEC East Champion).

Last edited:
Or even if Georgia wins the SECCG and Alabama still gets into the playoff as one of the four best teams like 2017. I'm tired of having this conversation. A playoff of mediocre PAC12 and MAC champions is dumb and just adds a week of blowouts.

Yep. Who would be excited by Clemson vs. Western Michigan in a regular bowl.

Back