• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Outdoor Weekend Excursion Suggestions

Helen sounds like a good place to hang out with plenty of people not wearing masks
Yeah, lol. After my Carolina beach experience, I'm going to do my best to stay the hell away from other people - im just trying to find an interesting outdoor place to stay away from other people for a weekend outside my house

definitely not where my mind went when you said the weird episode, but i guess the qualifier was that it was only kinda weird

I love that show so much

Helen sounds like a good place to hang out with plenty of people not wearing masks

That is 100% accurate at least how it appears from some local news stories. Probably go with any place that you can buy multiple magnets to commemorate your trip you should avoid.

Yeah, lol. After my Carolina beach experience, I'm going to do my best to stay the hell away from other people - im just trying to find an interesting outdoor place to stay away from other people for a weekend outside my house

We did Carolina beach one year, camping 4th of July weekend.

It was interesting.

Lake lure, or the highland lakes might be worth a look.

I fucking love lake Fontana, and I know a marina you can rent a 15hp John boat up there for like $80 a day. Zero walking or cycling on a boat.

Pipestem WV, might be cool if your looking for scenic mountain spot. I think they still have pretty affordable cabin rentals up there. Anywhere in the New River Gorge absolutely fucks.

Mang, you said it. I've been traveling a good bit to mountain bike in the mountains/foothills and lemme tell you as you get farther and farther outside or metro areas, people have about the same interest in wearing a mask as they do in having Hillary Clinton over for dinner. and the clerk in the gas station or whatever store does not care. My new norm is to pack food for the drive and just pull over and pee in the woods when I need to. I will straight up buy gas at a gas station and then drive down the road a bit to pee someplace random.

Im sorry didnt mean to offend you. I am sure your magnet collection from Helen, Myrtle Beach, Gatlinburg, Panama City Beach, Daytona, and Williamstown is very impressive.

I literally have a refrigerator door full of tourist magnets, but I'll pretend you weren't including me in that insult lol

Someone was asking me about Helen, GA recently - its pretty chill, has tubing and fake camping in lodges and stuff, easy for people of all ages and sizes. This place is super cool and pet friendly - https://bearcreeklodgeandcabins.com/. The downtown is super kitschy german - which seems odd, but has a bunch of different stuff for a weekend. Wine tasting close by, if thats your bag.

Haven't done Providence Canyon, which is one of the 7 wonders of Georgia.

I haven't been to Helen since 2004 but loved it that trip and the 2 previous ones. If they are having Octoberfest this year, definitely a blast. I've told people it is the best smelling town I've ever been to, with all the brats, etc. being grilled. A favorite memory was a street musician playing Stairway to Heaven on a hammered dulcimer. The Internationale Cafe has a deck overlooking the Chattahoochee River. A great place for a pitcher of a favorite brew on a Fall afternoon.

I literally have a refrigerator door full of tourist magnets, but I'll pretend you weren't including me in that insult lol

I was just going off a mountain weekend memory of there being a store that only sold magnets when we were in Gatlinburg and thinking how the hell does this store exist to only sell magnets. I know that national and state parks often sell patches which seems like the opposite of tourist trap locations.

Is Helen like those towns in Argentina that for some reason started featuring German architecture in 1946 or so?

tagsfan looks like the kind of guy with a timeshare in Branson.

Mammoth Cave is pretty cool. Went there right before corona shutdowns started and took a couple of the tours. The NPS website says they are operating reduced tours but I guess I’d be a little hesitant to go into a cave with a bunch of fucking strangers in the middle of Kentucky right now. The trails above ground there are cool but nothing special. I look out the window of my house into Great Smoky Mountains NP. It’s a beautiful area; mask wearing is hit and miss in buildings. But it sounds like you’re mostly going to be outside. Lots of available cabins out this way. Pipestem State Park someone mentioned is awesome too. They have several cabins within the park that are rustic.

Back