• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Outdoor Weekend Excursion Suggestions

I was just going off a mountain weekend memory of there being a store that only sold magnets when we were in Gatlinburg and thinking how the hell does this store exist to only sell magnets. I know that national and state parks often sell patches which seems like the opposite of tourist trap locations.

It pulls you in.

Never been to Branson but I do have fond memories of Gatlinburg. :thumbsup:

The Ripleys Aquarium in Gatlinburg is surprisingly excellent, one of the best i've ever been to.

Thanks everybody for all the replies and advice! Seems like Georgia, WV, and SC are off the list - but camping and rafting/boating in NC are likely. Anyone have experience camping in the Great Dismal Swamp area?

I know you said no beach, but camping at Bear Island in Hammock's Beach State Park is a good, very chill time

Places in the region we’ve enjoyed camping...

Davidson River in Pisgah National Forest near Brevard
Jordan Lake State Recreation Area
Grayson Highlands State Park in VA

I’d avoid them all in the middle of summer but probably September would be a good time to go.

Thanks everybody for all the replies and advice! Seems like Georgia, WV, and SC are off the list - but camping and rafting/boating in NC are likely. Anyone have experience camping in the Great Dismal Swamp area?

It seems like it would be crazy to go in the middle of summer.

What are the nighttime lows then? I really dislike tent camping if nighttime lows are warmer than like 65 because I hate the feeling of terrible sleeping while peeling a humidity and sweat drenched sleeping bag off my skin.

Places in the region we’ve enjoyed camping...

Davidson River in Pisgah National Forest near Brevard
Jordan Lake State Recreation Area
Grayson Highlands State Park in VA

I’d avoid them all in the middle of summer but probably September would be a good time to go.

Oh, and of course Hanging Rock State Park...but you're probably familiar with that place. I don't think the swimming area is open now, but I think you can put a row boat (etc.) on the lake and fish, etc. And a lot of the trails aren't too steep. Pretty easy to get to some streams with waterfalls, pools, etc. Plus they also have cabins that aren't too expensive (IIRC) if you'd prefer comforts above camping. We've camped and used the cabins.

Mang, you said it. I've been traveling a good bit to mountain bike in the mountains/foothills and lemme tell you as you get farther and farther outside or metro areas, people have about the same interest in wearing a mask as they do in having Hillary Clinton over for dinner. and the clerk in the gas station or whatever store does not care. My new norm is to pack food for the drive and just pull over and pee in the woods when I need to. I will straight up buy gas at a gas station and then drive down the road a bit to pee someplace random.

You ridden the lake trails in Wilkesboro yet?

I figured this was the best place to ask this:

My wife and I are going to be in WNC next weekend and I wanted to take her to linville falls. I haven’t been in over a decade so I don’t remember whether you have to hike down to the falls or is there a parking lot very close? We don’t have much time and my wife isn’t the biggest hiker, especially in this heat.

My wife and I are going to be in WNC next weekend and I wanted to take her to linville falls. I haven’t been in over a decade so I don’t remember whether you have to hike down to the falls or is there a parking lot very close? We don’t have much time and my wife isn’t the biggest hiker, especially in this heat.

Hiking into the gorge and falls itself is a pretty strenuous and lengthy hike. There are a couple of viewpoints but they still require a couple of miles of decent hiking.

Hiking into the gorge and falls itself is a pretty strenuous and lengthy hike. There are a couple of viewpoints but they still require a couple of miles of decent hiking.

That’s what I vaguely remember. Thanks for that. Any suggestions on a stop we could make that is on the way to, or not too far out of the way, to Asheville from winston? Waterfalls or a really cool view?

It’s an absolute blast tho, i love camping up there bigly.

Also MDMH, white lake in East N.C. is suppose to be really awesome. I’ve never been tho.

My wife and I got snowed in a few years ago in a cabin in Helen. Not a place I’d probably visit right now.

Back