• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Outdoor Weekend Excursion Suggestions

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
I have a designated PTO week at the end of September and I am looking for a place to visit outdoors within 6ish hours drive of Winston, preferably something secluded. Stipulations are: No beach, no hotels/resorts, no overly strenuous uphill hiking (cause 2 fat), no bicycles (same).

My current ideas are: white water falls NC, mammoth cave KY, providence canyon state park GA.

I have a designated PTO week at the end of September and I am looking for a place to visit outdoors within 6ish hours drive of Winston, preferably something secluded. Stipulations are: No beach, no hotels/resorts, no overly strenuous uphill hiking (cause 2 fat), no bicycles (same).

My current ideas are: white water falls NC, mammoth cave KY, providence canyon state park GA.
I am assuming you are looking for camping, and in that category car camping correct?

Are state parks open for camping right now in N.C.? I know in Tejas they aren’t.

We just spent a week in an air bnb at lake watauga. The wife opened google maps and found a lake that was within our driving parameters. Did a little research for what was in the area (lots of social distancing). Kids could jump off the doc. Use included kayaks. Rented a pontoon boat etc. The one we used was open 2 or 3 mos ago when we booked and a week later was booked solid through October. Good luck.

Whitewater falls is good. You can hike some of the foothills trail alongside the chatooga and it’s beautiful.

Camp and canoe at New River State Park.

https://adventuresonthegorge.com/ad...on, taking place in,on a set release schedule.

Depending on how much of a fatass you are. Also, you may die, so that's a huge plus in the current climate.

I am assuming you are looking for camping, and in that category car camping correct?

Are state parks open for camping right now in N.C.? I know in Tejas they aren’t.
Wife not open to car or tent camping - leaning more toward cabin rental

We just spent a week in an air bnb at lake watauga. The wife opened google maps and found a lake that was within our driving parameters. Did a little research for what was in the area (lots of social distancing). Kids could jump off the doc. Use included kayaks. Rented a pontoon boat etc. The one we used was open 2 or 3 mos ago when we booked and a week later was booked solid through October. Good luck.

that sounds great, and yeah I am seeing a lot of things are booked solid

I believe Mammoth Cave may be closed.
Open when I checked online, but capacity is below 50% so you have to buy tickets well in advance
Whitewater falls is good. You can hike some of the foothills trail alongside the chatooga and it’s beautiful.

Do you think it's worth a few hours drive?

Reconsidering leaving the state, thinking about Linville Caverns and Lake Tahoma?

Someone was asking me about Helen, GA recently - its pretty chill, has tubing and fake camping in lodges and stuff, easy for people of all ages and sizes. This place is super cool and pet friendly - https://bearcreeklodgeandcabins.com/. The downtown is super kitschy german - which seems odd, but has a bunch of different stuff for a weekend. Wine tasting close by, if thats your bag.

Haven't done Providence Canyon, which is one of the 7 wonders of Georgia.

Someone was asking me about Helen, GA recently - its pretty chill, has tubing and fake camping in lodges and stuff, easy for people of all ages and sizes. This place is super cool and pet friendly - https://bearcreeklodgeandcabins.com/. The downtown is super kitschy german - which seems odd, but has a bunch of different stuff for a weekend. Wine tasting close by, if thats your bag.

Also was the setting for a kinda weird episode of Atlanta.

That was me. That Atlanta episode made me wanna visit.

For places to visit in the mountains Helen would be low on the list. Its like an entire town that became one big tourist trap. Like I wouldn't plan my trip around Helen, it would be a half day destination when you are already somewhere in the mountains.

The downtown is super kitschy german - which seems odd, but has a bunch of different stuff for a weekend.

uu9pmDP.gif

Helen sounds like a good place to hang out with plenty of people not wearing masks

Back