• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Multi Level Marketing Schemes

I tangentially knew this guy (and his kids) growing up. Holy cow, what a gigantic douche. I also had no idea there's an "unofficial Amway wiki" until today.

https://www.amwaywiki.com/Miller,_Paul_%26_Leslie

In May 1971, I attended my first meeting at Emerald Direct, Bill Britt's home in Carrboro, North Carolina. At the meeting, I learnt that the business, after twelve years, had almost 100 different products, was in three countries, and had accomplished sales of approximately $100 million! I signed up, talked to one person, and quit. The timing was just not right, as I had to finish up my football.. baseball career as a UNC Tar Heel. rt included appearances in the Peach Bowl, Gator Bowl, selection as A1I-ACC quarterback, the Coaches All-American game, and being chosen as the ACC's first recipient of the Brian Piccolo Award.

I come from Ayden, North Carolina, a small town famous for producing many state championship teams and athletes. The primary reason for my surviving the rigours of competition at Chapel Hill was this environment. After being selected to the All- ACC Academic team, I enrolled in UNC's MBA-Law program in August 1974 to pursue a legal career. Twice while in law school, I was invited to attend some meetings. Both the times my reply was, "No thanks. I know all about this business. I was in it once. My goal is to become an attorney."

'One day, I skeptically went to see a formal business presentation. I met some old friends of mine at the presentation. They were very excited about the business, but they couldn’t explain how it worked. All that they could explain was that the business had something to do with 100 PV, no door-to-door selling, and possibility of making a lot of money. In fact, I attended four meetings and a Free Enterprise weekend before signing up in September 1974. The first two years were 'internal growth' years. There were financial struggles, fears to overcome, bar exams to pass, strangers to meet, and products to sell. I knew that I needed to be steady, upbeat and kind to all people; and I shouldn't quit. I am glad I didn't quit. I became Pearl in 1977, Diamond in 1979, Double Diamond in 1987, and now, Crown. I retired from my job in 1978. Bill and Peggy were my good friends and advisors. Friends in the business like the Renfrows, Crowes, Zeenders, Martins, Puryears, and many others inspired me.

My three children, Lindsey, Johnny, and Nancy are fun to be with and what makes me happy is that I was there to grow up with them. Today, my children and I live in a beautiful home overlooking a championship golf course on Ponte Vedta Beach, Florida. Our other homes include a 17 acre estate with a house that is nearly 7200 square feet, complete with pool, tennis court, and basketball court in Raleigh, North Carolina; a cottage on the Outer Banks of North Carolina; and an ocean front condominium on Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Vehicles include luxury sedans from Rolls Royce to Lexus, antique autos, a Harley motorcycle, a Humvee Hummer, a 25 feet fishing boat, and many other vehicles. I give all the credit to God. I am thankful for my kids, health, this country, the DeVos and Van Andel families and this business.

Anyone willing to work hard can make this business work. Come join us on the beaches and mountaintops of the world!

I mean, the way pyramid schemes work, a small handful will make a lot of money

I still have some Cutco knives and they are legit, not quite the same as amway

I too am here to give a :thumbsup: to Cutco knives. One of my sisters sold them for a year in college and my parents bought some from her. Those knives are still quite functional 40 years later.

We were given Cutco knives as a wedding present and they’re decent knives.

I’ve bought better knives since then, but still use the Cutco knives when I don’t feel like hand washing a knife.

“I give all the credit to God” is unquestionably my favorite part of that disaster.

A friend of mine looped me into a melaleuca presentation at her house. Bunch of other house moms signed up for the great natural products, I noped out of signing up for anything. It sucks because now she never calls as a friend anymore; I get random texts out the blue asking about my daughter or referencing a recent social media post of mine... and two beats later/before I even respond, she's already asking if I've reconsidered whether or not I would consider melaleuca. Stop preying on me, it's not going to work, and congrats on killing the friendship.

Another rando from high school sent a message out of the blue, congratulating me on all my athletic activities and successes, and then tried to pitch me a weight loss/dietary supplement and let me know what a great spokesperson I would be. I told her to please leave me alone, I will never promote a product in place of the hard work it took/takes me to "look" athletic.

I currently have another friend trying to convince me to be an Usborne book seller (I do buy books from her every so often). I gently let her know that however little time it takes, I don't have it. We rinse and repeat that conversation every so often.

Man. This thread is icky gross. I hate sales and asking people for money. It’s why I’ll never run for office. I’m trying to get some corporate buy-in for a new project and I’m doing everything possible to avoid being the one who makes the ask.

Not quite the same but there is a Tom James rep I bought a blazer from that is just relentless.

Not quite the same but there is a Tom James rep I bought a blazer from that is just relentless.

I guarantee I’ve been contacted numerous times by the exact same person here in Atlanta. The guy is oblivious to “no”.

I’m in sales, so I actually kind of respect him... Even though he annoys the shit out of me.

tom james people annoy the crap out of me.

yeah I wouldn't vote for him either

tom-share.jpg

Yeah, we had some motherfucker just stroll into our office one time (no receptionist here) and start trying to sell us made to measure clothes.

What most people don't realize is that the way to make big money in multi-level marketing is to be good at recruiting others to work for you. It's not by being best at selling the stuff. The more people you can recruit to sell stuff, the more successful you will be.

5% of the sales of 10 people is usually more than 15% of your own sales.

What most people don't realize is that the way to make big money in multi-level marketing is to be good at recruiting others to work for you. It's not by being best at selling the stuff. The more people you can recruit to sell stuff, the more successful you will be.

Most people do realize that and that’s why they call them pyramid schemes

I think you add a lot to this board my friend but you know my nickname for you is Captain Obvious, right? So many of your posts read this way

Yeah they got me a couple times. Just bananas sales tactics. Calls, texts, emails - one time the guy calls me and tells me he's outside my house out of the blue - what the actual fuck.

I actually really like most of their stuff, and was a sucker for their "trunk sales". Since we've gone casual and COVID has pretty much changed the game, I'm probably good on tailored clothes for the next 10 years though, assuming no significant plumping.

that's a big assumption for me with as much snacking and drinking around the house as i'm doing.

Back