• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Multi Level Marketing Schemes

BillBrasky

#PSF
Reaction score
Now that I am living the Suburban Lifestyle Dream my wife and myself have recently found ourselves becoming targets for MLM “entrepreneurs”. Earlier this year I got tricked into an awkward 20 min sales pitch call by a new neighbor, and my wife has old HS and college friends coming out of the woodwork trying to sell her through social media, especially now that we have a kid.

On this thread I’d like to hear everyone’s best stories and experiences with MLM and the people who peddle them

Last edited:
It's Multilevel Marketing, not Mid-Level.

And it offers a great opportunity for you, Brasky, to supplement your income and become financially independent.

It's Multilevel Marketing, not Mid-Level.

And it offers a great opportunity for you, Brasky, to supplement your income and become financially independent.

Whoops, fixed

How long do I get to blame the newborn sleep deprivation for this kind of behavior?

I don’t think it’s necessarily a scam but I responded to a “part-time, flexible hours” ad one Wake summer looking for some money and it turned out to be the Cutco knife selling gig and was immediately pissed at myself. I went to the building and everything and got trapped in a room filled with other dummies like me while the dude did the whole spiel that I meekly sat through before immediately bailing once over

Whoops, fixed

How long do I get to blame the newborn sleep deprivation for this kind of behavior?

Seems like you may have bags under your eyes
I did to when I had a kid, but then I heard of this great product by a company called Rodan and Fields
As a matter of fact, I liked the product so much, I became an exclusive sales agent for the company, PM me for more details, you'll be glad you did

my mom has been victim to like half a dozen of these, typically ending with her having a ton of leftover merchandise

wife bought Rodan and Fields once after some sob story from a high school acquaintance. was so fucking hard to get refunded for the recurring purchases she got signed up for when she had in writing it was a one time thing.

I got approached at a Panera bread in WV by some rando dude who was just such a sleaze bag. Got roped into an amway meeting at a hotel. Bailed as soon as I recognized the products. There was certainly a lot of internal, "wait...no way did I fall for this" before I admitted to myself that it was an MLM pitch meeting the guy conned me into going to.

anytime your pitch doesn't allow you to give complete information without a second meeting/presentation, you know you're full of shit

Seems like you may have bags under your eyes
I did to when I had a kid, but then I heard of this great product by a company called Rodan and Fields
As a matter of fact, I liked the product so much, I became an exclusive sales agent for the company, PM me for more details, you'll be glad you did

Well done.

Lularoe was probably the most abrupt rise and fall recently. Some of my wife’s friends were involved and it just never made any sense because the quality was so shitty and all the stuff was ugly as hell. But people would literally have like live sales where they were displaying/modeling one item at a time and it was a frenzy for people to comment and buy. People are idiots.

I have a few friends of friends that have been involved with amway for probably close to a year and half at this point. It utterly amazes me the degree to which they are being taken advantage of and still don't see it that way. No matter who sits them down to explain all the problematic aspects, they aren't willing to listen. I genuinely think it's a pride thing that they aren't willing to give up on having a successful "business", but it's really sad to me because they are good and relatively smart people who just have been completely brainwashed.

Seeing LuLaRoe on FB reminds me of that joke from the Adam Sandler movie where his family owns a business in New York named "Going Out Of Business".

the worst of them all are the health ones that are both pyramid schemes and snake oil products

About as close as I got was Princess House. A former girlfriend was sucked into it by some of her neighbors. She actually made some money off it for a while. Princess House is a company that sells crystal and other dining and food preparation products. Their stuff isn't bad, just overpriced for what it is. Did get a nice trip out of it to the factory where the crystal was made and hand carved. I still have a few pieces of that crystal.

as i recall, some guy on the really old boards got outed as an amway salesman after boasting about running his own business for 3 years

The main thing I remember about getting roped into an Amway presentation was that the word "Amway" wasn't mentioned at all until literally the last minute of the presentation and that was to say "don't believe what people tell you about Amway".

i got hit up by a homeless guy when i was volunteering at Urban Ministry in Charlotte. I was doing laundry for him and he asked me if we could have lunch to get some tips on getting a job - i said sure. next thing you know he's got me consolidating all my utility bills through ACN and trying to convince me how much money i could make at it. Sorry pard - not doing this.

Back