• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Stephen King film adaptation

??

• Stand By Me

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • The Shining

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Shawshank Redemption

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • It

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carrie

• The Green Mile

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Misery

• Pet Sematary

• The Dead Zone

• Other (name it)

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
I’m reading Needful Things right now which is great fun as a book but must be a shitshow as a film. Anyone see the Ed Harris version?

I did. Do not reccomend.

I didn't hate Secret Window as much as some people.

did they ever adapt that King short story where the surgeon gets trapped on a deserted island with a bunch of blow, has to eat himself to stay alive, and becomes an addict from using the coke as anesthesia

did they ever adapt that King short story where the surgeon gets trapped on a deserted island with a bunch of blow, has to eat himself to stay alive, and becomes an addict from using the coke as anesthesia

Survivor Type-just read that one a few months ago. One of the recent Simpson's Halloween specials kind of came close.

Wonder who would be cast in something like that? My first thought is Dennis Hopper, but he's dead.

What's your favorite King short story? One that's stick with me for some reason is called The Jaunt, I think it appears in Night Shift.

The Things They Left Behind is really good too, albeit sad. It basically deals with survivor guilt after 9/11.

For me, the test is this: If Green Mile or the Shining are on television, I can glance at them and keep looking for something else to watch.

If Shawshank is on, even though I've seen it a thousand times, my afternoon or evening is spoken for. Can't pass up Andy and Red. So that's my number 1.

We just watched the new 4K master of The Shining last night. As great as Jack is, and I'm a fan of Kubrick's style, Shelley Duvall is just in over her skillset's head. I voted Shawshank.

What's your favorite King short story? One that's stick with me for some reason is called The Jaunt, I think it appears in Night Shift.

The Things They Left Behind is really good too, albeit sad. It basically deals with survivor guilt after 9/11.

I Am the Doorway from Night Shift always stuck with me.

Apt Pupil is the best thing he’s ever written.

The Raft is my favorite short story.

Oddly enough, The Long Walk affected me more than anything else he’s ever written. Love that book.

We just watched the new 4K master of The Shining last night. As great as Jack is, and I'm a fan of Kubrick's style, Shelley Duvall is just in over her skillset's head. I voted Shawshank.

My wife’s gripe with the movie was how cartoonishly she plays everything.

My wife’s gripe with the movie was how cartoonishly she plays everything.

I’m not sure how much she was acting. Finding Kubrick basically break her psychologically over the course of the movie?

N is really good and kind of gives a look into Obsessive Compulsive behavior

The Sun Dog is pretty intense too.

Maximum Overdrive.

Kudos to you for the good taste to include the beginning of the short lived "Wilmywood"

maximumhed.jpg

This would have to be the most faithful adaptation because King was the director (his only directors credit).

I've wondered - did the aliens possess a truck that already had a Green Goblin mask or did they possess a big rig first and think "You know what would be bitchin'? A giant Green Goblin mask."

I love The Shining, and I actually think the ABC miniseries was a very good version as well. Always had a soft spot for Cat's Eye, as it was on HBO constantly when I was a kid and was rated PG. Only saw Apt Pupil once, but thought it was pretty good also. I have no idea how faithful the adaptations are.

I watched The Langoliers on tv late one night and came away thinking “why the fuck did I just spend 3 hours watching that?”

In support of The Shining: we could have a separate, and very interesting, debate about what the movie meant. That would be fun. Would want to re-watch the film and Room 237 again to refresh my memory.

There's going to be a new adaptation of the stand coming out on CBS all access here soon. Which by the way you get free with your 247 account.

Back