• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Stephen King film adaptation

??

• Stand By Me

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • The Shining

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Shawshank Redemption

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • It

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carrie

• The Green Mile

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Misery

• Pet Sematary

• The Dead Zone

• Other (name it)

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
First try posting the poll failed, let’s try this again

the shining is the best film, although barely an adaptation of the book. shawshank is my favorite movie on the list but is so more than the story it's based on. the rest are pretenders unless you are talking about best faithful adaptations

Stand By Me is faithful and also good

Think just for the purposes of this thread we can say best movie

stand by me is definitely elite. the rest really don't rise above their genres imo

TV Mini Series - Salem’s Lot

Fred Willard as a sex symbol.

I’m reading Needful Things right now which is great fun as a book but must be a shitshow as a film. Anyone see the Ed Harris version?

that rolling stone list takes faithfulness into account based on the shining blurb

there are apparently a lot of king adaptions i havent known about or seen. im open to the idea im maybe underrating their top 3, i havent seen them in a long time. kinda still think theyre just wrong tho

The Mist is a damn fine movie.

The best ending to a horror film of all time, IMO. An absolute punch in the gut that sticks with you forever once you've seen it. King told Frank Darabond that he wished he had written that ending himself.

Gotta check it out. I was very underwhelmed with that novella.

1408 is another very underrated King film adaptation.

Tom Hanks' performance in the Green Mile was amazing. That movie is a damned masterpiece.

Shawshank equally amazing. The shining as well.

If someone asked me to rank these three films, I could not seriously differentiate among them.

The Shining is one of my favorite movies ever, so that gets my vote. Shawshank beats Green Mile by a hair.

I'm not sure what it is, but I nver really like Stand By Me.

Totally dig The Dead Zone.

Christine was crap.

I go with Shawshank as the best movie, followed by Carrie, then The Shining.

The Long Walk as soon as it's made. Otherwise would have to say Shawshank. It should have won the Oscar in 1994.

Hard to argue with the Shining as #1, even though King hates the Kubrick version. I also really liked the Mist. Dead Zone was good.

I feel like a lot of King books fail on the screen because the characters stream of consciousness in the books helps sell what is happening.

Back