• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UConn cancels Football season

godeacs

Reaction score
UConn becomes first FBS team to cancel its football season

The University of Connecticut announced Wednesday that it is cancelling its football program for the upcoming school year, citing concerns about the coronavirus pandemic.

Why it matters: It's the first FBS program to back out of this year's season — and it could be just the first domino to fall among other major programs.

What they're saying: "The safety challenges created by COVID-19 place our football student-athletes at an unacceptable level of risk," said UConn athletics director David Benedict in a news release.

"The necessary measures needed to mitigate risk of football student-athletes contracting the coronavirus are not conducive to delivering an optimal experience for our team."
"Ultimately, the student-athletes would rather preserve their year of eligibility with an eye to competing under more typical circumstances during the 2021 season."  

Non-story. Not in a conference, so they couldn't put together a schedule.

College football certainly on shaky ground for the year, but this news means nothing for the likelihood of P5 college football this season.

I was hoping we could get UConn to join the ACC, but I guess we can't do much of anything until we lock down Notre Dame for the long term.

Last edited:
I was hoping we could get UConn to join the ACC, but I guess we can't do much of anything until we lock down Notre Dame for the long term.

Outside of basketball they may be the worst D1 athletic department in the country (and Bball has certainly had its recent issues both on and off the court). Hard pass.

So if COVID spurs another conference realignment, who would you prefer? West Virginia? UCF?

#cancelculture

So if COVID spurs another conference realignment, who would you prefer? West Virginia? UCF?

We shat the bed on academics when we let in Louisville so WVU for athletic success across the board. UCF is awful in everything but football.

UCF doesn't deserve a seat at the adult table because of the fake Natty they claimed.

We shat the bed on academics when we let in Louisville so WVU for athletic success across the board. UCF is awful in everything but football.

I was just commenting to a WVU fan how much it must have hurt to see Pitt get taken in by the ACC before the Mountaineers. Actually, WVU has had a surprising number of Rhodes Scholars over the years. On the other hand, a friend was bragging a couple of years that his nephew was probably the first WVU football player to be in the Honor's program at the school. A stretch as Oliver Luck was a Rhodes finalist.

I was just commenting to a WVU fan how much it must have hurt to see Pitt get taken in by the ACC before the Mountaineers. Actually, WVU has had a surprising number of Rhodes Scholars over the years. On the other hand, a friend was bragging a couple of years that his nephew was probably the first WVU football player to be in the Honor's program at the school. A stretch as Oliver Luck was a Rhodes finalist.

Pretty sure they call them Country Rhodes up there.

No chance in hell that happens as long as BC is a member of the ACC.

Lot of bad blood there.

No surprise on UConn canceling. With the Power 5 going basically conference-only, there's not that many teams (especially in the Northeast) for UConn - Army, Navy, Buffalo, UMass and Temple are the only other FBS schools within 500 miles of Storrs.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if UConn just canceled their college football season. No one has ever really given any damns about them (it's a total basketball school); their stadium is in East Hartford, a 30 minute drive on the freeway from campus, which even if they had a decent team would be tough to generate any student support.

College football cancelled UConn awhile ago.

Notre Dame will pick the 16th team as a condition of its joining.

As for UConn, Ivy League, and DII and DIII, it is funny how much easier it is to make the right call when beaucoup money isn't on the line. I have special concern for OL and DL who carry extra weight, and that being a reason they may get a worse case of Covid when infected.

Back