• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UConn cancels Football season

Experienced UConn when we played them in football at Storrs well over ten years ago. Thought Storrs might be like Chapel Hill, a true college town - wrong. At the time the residents in Storrs evidently had voted to keep restaurants, bars and other commercial establishments out of Storrs. It seemed there was nothing there outside of the campus and local residences. Then the football game was downtown in a stadium build to attract a pro sports football team which obviously never happened. Parking was distant from the stadium and there was no campus atmosphere. They allowed drinking at the game which is well before we did but quite frankly it seemed a little out of control as some inebriated students sat near us. Evidently they have an on campus basketball facility but evidently play their bigger games at the larger stadium downtown. Downtown is from what I remember twenty miles away and quite a ride from campus. What UConn did have was good basketball with coaches who had won national championships. That seems to be fading and I wonder how much attention women’s bball will get once Geno A. retires. Some of this may have changed but I don’t have any recent info. Certainly, Louisville was a better choice to join our conference from purely an athletic view point. Just wish they could get their academics up to closer to ACC standards. Don’t have a favorite or any idea who would be a good 16th member if ND ever chose to join. Or maybe we wouldn’t even need a sixteenth.

Notre Dame will pick the 16th team as a condition of its joining.

As for UConn, Ivy League, and DII and DIII, it is funny how much easier it is to make the right call when beaucoup money isn't on the line. I have special concern for OL and DL who carry extra weight, and that being a reason they may get a worse case of Covid when infected.

Any chance its Northwestern?

Any chance its Northwestern?

Near zero. Already a member of the B1G, Northwestern isn't likely to give up the biggest conference payouts for a lesser one. Maryland jumped from the ACC to the B1G for the bigger paydays.

My last football game as a student was watching Dan Orlovsky dominate us in a game that would have made us bowl eligible had we won.

Thinking a little more, I'd be fine keeping a 15 team conference. Make it so that each team has a constant three rivals each year, then play 5-6 (ideally 6) more conference games a year - under 9 conference games/year, that way everyone plays every team in the conference every three years at most.

Of course it needs to be done to make sure the 4 NC schools play each other annually.

Back