• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Destruction of the US Postal Service by Trump & the Republican Party

I can always count on Highland for the Sunday show report.

Got to love the logic that USPS has been bad for years, that’s why deliveries that took 3 days two months ago are taking two weeks now.

Trump’s spokesperson on This Week today pointed out that it must be overblown because Pelosi and the Dems are In recess.

Tonight Pelosi said she’s calling back the house to vote on USPS legislation.

EflYe1fWsAInN2r

as long as sombrero wearing coeds are safe from this here col I'm good.

EfjU_DBXoAAXrfc

My blood boils just seeing these innocent mailboxes taken out of commission and locked up.

The cruelty is the point.

Thx pubs

Why exactly is the post office supposed to be profitable, when other government agencies that require fees for service are not? National Park Service, State Departments of Transportation, the US Forest Service, State wildlife agencies, among others, all charge fees to individuals, on top of the tax dollars they receive, in return for services. For example, the Forest Service changes grazing fees to ranchers, the Park Service charges entrance fees at almost very park, DOTs have license fees and toll roads...none are profitable and none are expected to be, so what the difference? I got into a twitter "argument/discussion" with Wrangor on this. He initially said it was because the USPS charges for the service and therefore should be profitable, then moved the goal posts and said because it was designed as a business therefore should be expected to at least pay for itself but then said it was Sunday and he was done arguing.

I sincerely want to understand why the post office is expected to pay for its self, when no other government agency or service has to do that?

I tweeted out something similar last night. It’s the United States Postal SERVICE.

Yeah it’s the reason why rural areas are completely fucked without the postal SERVICE, it’s not profitable to distribute things in areas with extremely low population density. There is no logistics or business practice that makes it work unless you charge those areas a high cost. Even in more densely populated areas the end of the delivery chain sometimes relies on the postal service because there’s not much profit for FedEx and such to deliver at the individual level all over.

we live on a rural route so it's people in private vehicles rather than USPS trucks servicing us, but all the vehicles (Subaru Outback, Jeep Wrangler, and some Toyota something) are still right-hand drive, so I guess those have to be special ordered? can you normally get those in the US or do they have to be grey marketed from the UK or something?

Why exactly is the post office supposed to be profitable, when other government agencies that require fees for service are not? National Park Service, State Departments of Transportation, the US Forest Service, State wildlife agencies, among others, all charge fees to individuals, on top of the tax dollars they receive, in return for services. For example, the Forest Service changes grazing fees to ranchers, the Park Service charges entrance fees at almost very park, DOTs have license fees and toll roads...none are profitable and none are expected to be, so what the difference? I got into a twitter "argument/discussion" with Wrangor on this. He initially said it was because the USPS charges for the service and therefore should be profitable, then moved the goal posts and said because it was designed as a business therefore should be expected to at least pay for itself but then said it was Sunday and he was done arguing.

I sincerely want to understand why the post office is expected to pay for its self, when no other government agency or service has to do that?

Wrangor should come to the board to defend that terrible take. What a coward.

If people now talking about the USPS funding/budget/profit issue can show me their discussing it and talking about it in the past (prior to there being a voter suppression issue attached), I'd take it far more seriously than I do. Right now it's clear this is focused only on suppressing votes after the GOP realized the voter fraud angle was ridiculous since plenty of conservatives cast mail-in votes and never cared before. Again, this is not a serious argument and these are not serious people.

If people now talking about the USPS funding/budget/profit issue can show me their discussing it and talking about it in the past (prior to there being a voter suppression issue attached), I'd take it far more seriously than I do. Right now it's clear this is focused only on suppressing votes after the GOP realized the voter fraud angle was ridiculous since plenty of conservatives cast mail-in votes and never cared before. Again, this is not a serious argument and these are not serious people.

Yes, seems like a bunch of bullshit.

ok, I absolutely need to follow Birdman on Twitter. Someone hit me with his handle...

Well said. It is a cult.

Back