• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Family Grand Canyon Trip

Brangus

Reaction score
Planning one for 2021 or 2022...because...you know.

Anyway, would love some tips on where to stay to get the most out of something like a 4 day visit. Would like to raft in the canyon too, so access to the best rapids would be nice. We do not want to stay in Vegas. I was thinking either one of the Park inns or a condo (we stayed in a condo in Jackson Hole and it was a terrific base camp). Was considering late May\Early June time frame. I've only been to Arizona once, 20 years ago, so I'm not sure what else to bring up. Four of us; Me, wife, HS daughter, MS daughter. Advice on what worked for experienced visitors would be appreciated.

Planning one for 2021 or 2022...because...you know.

Anyway, would love some tips on where to stay to get the most out of something like a 4 day visit. Would like to raft in the canyon too, so access to the best rapids would be nice. We do not want to stay in Vegas. I was thinking either one of the Park inns or a condo (we stayed in a condo in Jackson Hole and it was a terrific base camp). Was considering late May\Early June time frame. I've only been to Arizona once, 20 years ago, so I'm not sure what else to bring up. Four of us; Me, wife, HS daughter, MS daughter. Advice on what worked for experienced visitors would be appreciated.

Never been with kids, but I did hike in and out one June years ago. It gets pretty hot mid day in a June, for what that’s worth. Hot but dry.

Camped on North Rim around this time last year and it was great. Not super crowded at all.

This might sound super white-trash, but when I was 13ish, my grandparents took my brother and two cousins in an RV from the east coast to the grand canyon. Nearly 20 years later, it's still a huge point of connection for those of us who were on the trip.

Took 12ish days, via St. Louis, couple days in Denver, four corners, grand canyon, back through OK/TX, TN. Tons of rando stops at silly attractions.

I don't know what your family ages are, but I have a feeling that if you have anyone under 7 or over 16, this kind of trip wouldn't work as well. It kinda felt like lightning in a bottle, now that I look back on it.

Probably not the best for you but I’ll share my trip. SIL got us all on the phone a year out to try to get spots at the Phantom Ranch. Needed accommodations for 7. Did the hike from the north rim early to the ranch and then finished out the next day to the south rim. Only about 25 miles total over two days so if your kids could handle that it’d still give you the opportunity to do other activities. Perhaps if you could get ranch spots for a couple days you could explore or do canoeing on the day in between

Do not attempt to hike from the rim to the river and back in one day. You'll die. That's the one lesson I learned from my canyon trip.

We hit the GC from Sonoma. Sonoma is awesome. Kids liked it better than the GC FWIW.

Do not attempt to hike from the rim to the river and back in one day. You'll die. That's the one lesson I learned from my canyon trip.

Same here. Bunch of Euros tried when I was there, probably thinking only fat Americans shouldn't try, and several were airlifted out.

rim to rim or even rim to rim to rim are very popular, but you best be in great shape. Some even run it.

Phantom got rid of the stupid phone system thankfully, but it's still a tough get with a monthly lottery like 15 months ahead of when you want to go. So if you want to even consider doing that, get on it.

Also, stay on one rim or the other. Rafting can be incorporated with a stay in Phantom, you could raft in and hike out the next day. Those probably fill up early, but the rafting companies do have a cabin at Phantom that helps you get around the regular Phantom line.

We hit the GC from Sonoma. Sonoma is awesome. Kids liked it better than the GC FWIW.

Do you mean Sedona? Sonoma is in Northern California.

Flagstaff isn't a bad idea to set up base either.

Last edited:
It’s been a while since we were out there but if you have time check out Canyon de Chelly (if open). It’s not to far from the GC, easier to navigate, less crowded, and has some fairly ancient ruins you can see.

Same here. Bunch of Euros tried when I was there, probably thinking only fat Americans shouldn't try, and several were airlifted out.

We made it, but we started at 4 am and I still was legit concerned that I was gonna bite it a couple of times. I remember submerging myself in the creek at the ranch and being bone dry 5 minutes later.

Stay at one of the South Rim park hotels. Make a reservation to eat at El Tovar - decent meal, full bar. Book one of the self guided bike tours that ends at Hermits Rest - no car traffic, which makes it easy.

north rim is less crowded.

you could stay in kanab, utah which is a cool town where a bunch of westerns were shot. 90 minutes to the north rim, 30 minutes to zion, 90 minutes to bryce canyon.

north rim is less crowded.

you could stay in kanab, utah which is a cool town where a bunch of westerns were shot. 90 minutes to the north rim, 30 minutes to zion, 90 minutes to bryce canyon.

I don't disagree with staying in Kanab for part of a larger trip, but staying at least a couple days on a rim at the GC is amazing, just walk out and watch the sunset or sunrise or whatever and not deal with car time after a long day of hiking or whatnot.

We did it through a company called OARS as a wedding gift. One night up top. hike down then a week rafting and a helicopter to take you out.

They have different packages so like raft the whole canyon or parts.

We did it through a company called OARS as a wedding gift. One night up top. hike down then a week rafting and a helicopter to take you out.

They have different packages so like raft the whole canyon or parts.

Goddamn. I need to invite that person to my next wedding. Beats a fucking serving spoon.

I don't disagree with staying in Kanab for part of a larger trip, but staying at least a couple days on a rim at the GC is amazing, just walk out and watch the sunset or sunrise or whatever and not deal with car time after a long day of hiking or whatnot.

good point

My bro did it without dying, but fuck that noise it's a young mans game now.

Would love to do a GC trip + Utah NP trip that's tha dream.

Back