• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Refinancing: any tips to find the best rates?

Any updates here lately? Any great rates?

I refi’ed at 2.875 a couple weeks ago. Down from 4.125 that I got in 2015

I refi’ed at 2.875 a couple weeks ago. Down from 4.125 that I got in 2015

15 or 30?
I am about to refi at 3.125 on a 30 year. Also down about 100 bp from my existing loan. I locked the rate back in the summer - they have just been too busy to get it closed. Probably could have got under 3 if I had waited a little. Oh well.

Yeah I was about to come here and ask that, I googled today and saw some 2.5% rates. That's almost crazy enough to get me to buy

Caliber Home Loans

Funny, 2.75 30 year here as well that just got sold off to Caliber, I'd never heard of them. Interestingly they dumped the escrow which is a first for me. My folks did a 15 at 2.25 last month. Unreal.

We locked in 2.75% (down from 3.75%) a few weeks ago; that was the best rate I was offered without purchasing points.

So I wasn't happy with the customer service I was getting on this deal and ended up pulling out of it, and I'm glad I did. I'm about to close a 30 year refi at 2.375% without purchasing points through another lender, so I'll be moving down from 3.75% on the original mortgage to 2.375% on the refi - pretty happy with how it all worked out.

Check out Loan Depot. They were excellent on my last refi to 2.875. Rates are obviously better now but it isn't quite worth the effort for me yet with roughly a 2 year payback on going even lower.

Posted on the CT the other day but we just locked in 15 years at 2.25 through Ally. Could have gone as low as 2.00 if we wanted to pay for the points. Just couldn’t turn it down at that point. We are at 3.99 now.

Check out Loan Depot. They were excellent on my last refi to 2.875. Rates are obviously better now but it isn't quite worth the effort for me yet with roughly a 2 year payback on going even lower.

looking at refi options, but I'm in a co-op, not a condo, so it's harder to find lenders -- my understanding, however, is that Loan Depot does co-ops

what kind of fees did you pay?

looking at refi options, but I'm in a co-op, not a condo, so it's harder to find lenders -- my understanding, however, is that Loan Depot does co-ops

what kind of fees did you pay?

Borrower paid closing costs of $4,172.00. But that is also all negotiable depending on where you want your rate to fall. I bought the rate down a bit at the time. I also did a cash out on that transaction so I could pay off our cabin.

Last edited:
My local bank is offering me 2.49 with no PMI (even though I have less than 20% equity) for a 15 year fixed. Is it worth me trying to shop around for something better, or should I just take the deal?

My local bank is offering me 2.49 with no PMI (even though I have less than 20% equity) for a 15 year fixed. Is it worth me trying to shop around for something better, or should I just take the deal?

You can probably do better.

Back