• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sage Surratts is out

A good season and half of a great season....thanks Covid......

I can't blame him, but it sucks for the team.
Of course, whether we have a season at all is an open question so it may not turn out to matter.

I can't blame him, but it sucks for the team.
Of course, whether we have a season at all is an open question so it may not turn out to matter.

Exactly. But a smart call for him probably made easier since he got hurt last year.

Screw it. Why not exploit the systems that are in place. Sucks for WF fans and teammates/coaches, but IMO we have a few guys with even more upside at WR. I wish Sage luck & he’ll need it because he won’t be “out-athleting” most DBs and Safeties in the NFL. His hands are like sticky honey, though. At least he spoke up now so we can get the other wrs reps.

I'm confused. If he's not going to play this season, shouldn't he have just gone pro last spring? I suppose he can train, improve on his own, but wouldn't he benefit from recent game film against our hard schedule?

Either way, good luck to him.

I guess this could be the start of a new trend.

I'm confused. If he's not going to play this season, shouldn't he have just gone pro last spring? I suppose he can train, improve on his own, but wouldn't he benefit from recent game film against our hard schedule?

Either way, good luck to him.

I guess this could be the start of a new trend.

Confused? There’s kind of something big different since last spring. Actually that something is exactly the same, which is the problem. He might also be assuming (reasonably) that the hard schedule will not happen.

He probably thought that people weren’t going to be such ignorant assholes that it would make playing the football season such an irresponsible idea. He grew up as a mixed race kid in North Carolina. He should have known better.

If it needs clarifying, that is not a swipe a Sage.

Also, there have been many more reports of serious consequences, such as the heart issues from Ohio. That may have driven home the thought that Covid 19 isn't just like the flu. It can have long term debilitating issues that could be career ending.

The smart course of action would be to stay in the Wake football bubble, finish his degree and prep for the draft. Playing some games to show he is healed probably became way less important. The large number of cases down the road may also have had an impact. He has insider knowledge of what happened when all the students arrived on campus.

Also, there have been many more reports of serious consequences, such as the heart issues from Ohio. That may have driven home the thought that Covid 19 isn't just like the flu. It can have long term debilitating issues that could be career ending.

The smart course of action would be to stay in the Wake football bubble, finish his degree and prep for the draft. Playing some games to show he is healed probably became way less important. The large number of cases down the road may also have had an impact. He has insider knowledge of what happened when all the students arrived on campus.

Chaz is still in at unc despite covid19 outbreak...

I think we are just assuming everyone on Carolina's campus has already been infected. Might as well stay and play, now.

While long term health issues are bad for anyone, for a professional athlete it could be the difference between having a career or not having one. As an athlete, your body is your primary tool and losing even 2% (to pick a number) of your stamina, speed, or endurance could cost you the edge you had against your competition.

I'm actually surprised more athletes haven't opted out in general.

I support his decision and do not feel there should even be a football season.

Will he still be on scholarship?

Good luck Sage.

For many college athletes, the on campus situation may be better circumstances than anyplace else they could be. High quality medical care, including frequent Covid testing. Healthy meals prepared for them. Peer group support. Goals in common with those you are with.

Yes, nine Wake grads signed with NFL teams last spring. However, reality is that most will not be playing NFL football in three years.

For most current players, the advantages of being on campus with their team mates far outweigh the risks of contracting Covid from potentially playing football.

Back