• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hanes Mall & Friendly Center ownership files for bankruptcy

This. Last time I went to Hanes mall, the store I was visiting was closed. At 4 pm. Found out later, some guy shot a gun not long before and several stores closed up for the day.

How can this happen? They have a sign at all the doors saying gun free zone.

Hanes Mall hasn't been the same since Structure closed.

I don't mind malls. Maybe it's 90% nostalgia, but I kind of enjoy going once in a while.

As long as Merry-Go-Round and Spencer Gifts are still there I'll keep shopping.

Hate to hear that Hanes Mall may not be long for the world. Lot of fun memories from there when I was a kid and then later at WFU. Although it was never the same for me after they took out the little bridge that used to cross over a water feature in front of Belk.

I stopped in there on a trip through Winston maybe four or five years ago and all seemed well. . . . guess things have gone downhill since.

Same here. I remember back in the 80s that Hanes Mall was a shopping destination for people in rural counties as far away as Wilkes and Surry and Stokes. When kids in my high school used to say they were going to the mall they usually didn't mean our local small-town rinky dink mall, they meant Hanes Mall, even though it was about an hour or so away. I loved going there as a kid, it was like being in a giant candy store for a small-town kid - Aladdin's Castle arcade, Waldenbooks, the food court and so on. No doubt indoor malls are a dying breed, though, and I'm sure that the pandemic hasn't helped. Losing all of their anchor stores like Sears and Belks and JC Penney has got to be a killer too. Having grown up traveling to Winston often, it's hard to imagine the city without Hanes Mall, although it's likely inevitable.

why do people get so pissed off with shorts? if you sell your stock when you think it has reached its peak, how is that substantially different?

I guess in my mind, every stock trade has a winner and a loser - these winners happen to just be higher profile.

This post didn’t age well.

Back