• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Climate Change & Natural Disasters Thread

The NY Times has an article on how California's famed Napa Valley wineries are in serious danger due to climate change. Smoke from fires is ruining red wines, the reservoirs and lakes they use for irrigation are drying up, and insurance companies are no longer willing to insure them for losses. "The losses have been stunning. In 2019, growers in the county sold $829 million worth of red grapes. In 2020, that figure plummeted to $384 million."

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/scorched-parched-now-uninsurable-climate-151253774.html

Drove up to Paso Robles a few weeks ago. Just arid mountains everywhere, and hot as fuck

The NY Times has an article on how California's famed Napa Valley wineries are in serious danger due to climate change. Smoke from fires is ruining red wines, the reservoirs and lakes they use for irrigation are drying up, and insurance companies are no longer willing to insure them for losses. "The losses have been stunning. In 2019, growers in the county sold $829 million worth of red grapes. In 2020, that figure plummeted to $384 million."

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/scorched-parched-now-uninsurable-climate-151253774.html

To me, the only thing that is surprising about any of this is how quickly it’s happening.

If anything, reports like this will only lead Republicans to deliberately do the opposite, just to show they're not going to allow any fancy-pants snooty elitist experts to tell them what to do! I can see certain GOP governors and senators brazenly defying such suggestions and actually calling for increasing our emissions. That'll show 'em!

I was pretty discouraged by this report as well. To learn earlier that the pandemic shutdown was not helpful re climate change, and then this article - especially the last sentence.

Meanwhile, other major economies including China and India are not on track to reduce their emissions this decade.

I know Americans pollute the most per capita, but when two emerging economies with populations in the billions are pulling us down, I have a hard time imagining the USA "going Amish" would change things.

Bill_Paxton_Game_over_man_595x521.jpg

I was pretty discouraged by this report as well. To learn earlier that the pandemic shutdown was not helpful re climate change, and then this article - especially the last sentence.

I know Americans pollute the most per capita, but when two emerging economies with populations in the billions are pulling us down, I have a hard time imagining the USA "going Amish" would change things.

Bill_Paxton_Game_over_man_595x521.jpg

Magic_8_ball_outlook_not_good.png

Hey, you negative Nancys.

All we have to do is convince everyone to come together and do what's best for us all.

Oh, fuc...

Looks like Ida is going to absolutely wreck NOLA Katrina style.

Obviously we all hope it doesn't happen, but if it does people need to be prepared for some hiccups in the FEMA response. FEMA relies heavily on the rail system to move supplies to disaster areas. The problem right now is our rail capacity is stretched to the limit trying to move things from our jammed up ports to the middle of the country, so leveraging the rail system will not be as efficient as usual.

Trucks? Not really as much of an option either as we are enduring a massive chassis and driver shortage.

So what happens? Delays in getting supplies to disaster areas or a commandeered supply chain which results in massive short term inflation as the flow of goods to the interior of the country is even more disrupted than it already is.

And the media and people who don't know shit about supply chains are going to blame Biden for it.

Add in that gulf state hospitals are already stretched due to Covid and this could be awful.

No matter what happens, Republicans are going to blame Biden. It is what it is. I just hope local, state, and federal officials can do the best they can despite the COVID shitshow the people of Louisiana and Texas have made for themselves.

No matter what happens, Republicans are going to blame Biden. It is what it is. I just hope local, state, and federal officials can do the best they can despite the COVID shitshow the people of Louisiana and Texas have made for themselves.

Yeah, I've already tried to clue a few friends in that this is coming, as is a massive retail supply crunch this winter regardless of the hurricane, due to supply chain factors out of our control. It's not Biden's fault it happens.

The stories I'm reading of people in NOLA waiting out the evac until the last minute....did they learn nothing from Katrina?

Yeah, I've already tried to clue a few friends in that this is coming, as is a massive retail supply crunch this winter regardless of the hurricane, due to supply chain factors out of our control. It's not Biden's fault it happens.

The stories I'm reading of people in NOLA waiting out the evac until the last minute....did they learn nothing from Katrina?

The hurricane wasn’t thought to be as strong as it is. It intensified very quickly.

Good thread on that

Means is one reason. Another is traffic -- read many stories of it taking 24 hours on the road to get to Houston, which is normally like a 6 hour drive with stops. People thinking they can wait and miss out on all that.

Back