• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Climate Change & Natural Disasters Thread

I also wonder how many people displaced in 2005 ended up making it back. Many in the area now might not have experienced Katrina.

People don’t evacuate for many reasons.

Most of the numerous folks I know whut don’t are either just stubborn, they think maybe it won’t be so bad, they’d rather be there to pertect they propity, etc.

Hate it for them all in a situation like this…😕

Climate Change & Natural Disasters Thread

Air Conditioning is a big contributor to Global Warming
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/air-conditioning-one-greatest-inventions-133029574.html

A/C is what makes the South tolerable to live in. It sounds like the thing to do is turn our A/C up or off for the benefit of the planet. Can't see obese America going for that.

Interesting read. Of course, 100 years ago it wasn’t as hot as it is now because air conditioning and other producers of greenhouse gas wasn’t as prevalent.

I definitely think businesses should commit to turning up the AC. I keep my house at 78 during the day and 81 at night. Fans on all the time. We are fine. But plenty of businesses blast the AC in the summer. They overcompensate.

Last edited:
I’ll stop blasting my AC in August in NC when gas guzzlers are banned.

The entire city of New Orleans is without power now.

Interesting read. Of course, 100 years ago it wasn’t as hot as it is now because air conditioning and other producers of greenhouse gas wasn’t as prevalent.

I definitely think businesses should commit to turning up the AC. I keep my house at 78 during the day and 81 at night. Fans on all the time. We are fine. But plenty of businesses blast the AC in the summer. They overcompensate.

This sounds miserable. I remember growing up in NYC with no AC in the summer. Now it is 68 during the day and 65 at night.

Means is one reason. Another is traffic -- read many stories of it taking 24 hours on the road to get to Houston, which is normally like a 6 hour drive with stops. People thinking they can wait and miss out on all that.

This

Google Hurricane Rita. Was a hurricane that was supposed to hit Houston less than a month after Katrina. Millions evacuated which caused massive gridlock. Storm didn't end up hitting Houston and people ended up dying in the gridlock due to the heat wave in Houston at the time. Many more were stranded on highways in the middle of nowhere since they ended up running out of gas. Evacuation isn't an easy decision.

What I'm saying is that if everyone sits around saying "we won't move until they do" then no one moves at all. There are huge market advantages to making energy transitions. Are there short-term hurdles? Sure, look at Europe. But we're also largely energy independent on coal and gas so no one can threaten that part, whereas they are not. We are not energy independent on oil, which is why Ford is opening huge new EV plants.

without them, you are completely ineffective

Game theory aside, I, for one, think the problem of climate change is so existential that “you” should do everything you can regardless of what other people/countries are or are not doing.

What I'm saying is that if everyone sits around saying "we won't move until they do" then no one moves at all. There are huge market advantages to making energy transitions. Are there short-term hurdles? Sure, look at Europe. But we're also largely energy independent on coal and gas so no one can threaten that part, whereas they are not. We are not energy independent on oil, which is why Ford is opening huge new EV plants.

Good post

*when*everyone sits around saying "we won't move until they do" then no one moves at all.

This is exactly the point, and it’s why our politics are centered on cultural stalemates, to prevent compromise on the issues where disagreement is only measured in degrees of difference.

The sooner we listen to the scientists and convert to nuclear energy, the better. Nothing stopping us but dumb people. If we need to erect some solar and wind farms as window dressing to pacify the dumbs, fine by me.

Nuclear + electric car conversion (inevitable) would also make us permanently energy independent on oil.

The sooner we listen to the scientists and convert to nuclear energy, the better. Nothing stopping us but dumb people. If we need to erect some solar and wind farms as window dressing to pacify the dumbs, fine by me.

Nuclear + electric car conversion (inevitable) would also make us permanently energy independent on oil.

Why the fixation on nuclear? With the upfront costs, long term waste storage, and day to day safety infrastructure required, nuclear power is more expensive than solar or wind. So why keep pushing for a more expensive less safe option?

Nuclear is the cleanest, most reliable form of energy. New Gen IV reactors can use previous nuclear waste as fuel and can be fitted in current nuclear sites.

France went nuclear decades ago while Germany went renewable. The difference in the favor of France is night and day.

Back