• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Climate Change & Natural Disasters Thread

Barnwell, SC is the location of the South Carolina radioactive waste disposal site operated by Energy Solutions.

Got a speeding ticket once, and the cop tried to accuse me of running pot. (I was not). Nice place.

Here's an NC State professor to follow
https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdYcrhEs/

Like Covid, follow the advice of people trained to do the research and willing to go where science leads.

Yeah but the video is wrong. Solar panels can be recycled. https://www.cedgreentech.com/article/can-solar-panels-be-recycled

Anyway, like I said, I am all for nuclear power. I think that the climate situation has gotten so dire we have to take on the risks posed by nuclear accidents and waste storage. We’ll deal with that problem when it is more urgent. It’s like when I had to get chemo to treat a cancer and my doc told me ‘the chemo chemicals lead to elevated risk of a kind of leukemia 10 years later,’ and I said ‘well wait what are my other options’ and he said ‘your options are to die of cancer now, or take this chemo and maybe have a problem 10 years from now.’ So I chose the chemo. Nuclear power is like chemo. Let’s fucking GOOOOOOO!

So, it sounds like COP26 was a big waste of time and jet fuel.

So we have now found a third thing that Awaken is passionate about.

I just want to add two comments:

1) The stuff about birds in this Ted Talk is largely anecdotal BS. It's basically selecting anecdotes to push a narrative. Makes me really want to dislike and disagree with the rest of this talk, but his conclusions are valid, especially the bits about using natural gas to fill solar and wind gaps, so solar and wind could never get to full neutrality, at least current tech and energy storage methods.

2) These are problems with renewables that we've known about for decades and if we'd earnestly worked on solving them over the last 25 years they could very well be moot...but instead we engaged in an extended 20 year "debate" about the validity of climate science, pushed largely by oil companies and Republicans (was there a difference in 2008?) which cost us precious time and now nuclear is probably the best path.

Nuclear was always a good path forward but the "my way or the highway renewables" crowd was never interested in any sort of compromise solution. We could have been well into developing a couple next Gen nuke plants by now.

I mean, who knows what we could have worked out had we paid attention to the canaries in the coal mines.

Nuclear was always a good path forward but the "my way or the highway renewables" crowd was never interested in any sort of compromise solution. We could have been well into developing a couple next Gen nuke plants by now.

Fair enough. My point about the renewables was that many of the issues that the guy in the video raises as problems might have been addressable if we started addressing them decades ago. Same could have been true of the safety issues with nuclear…but we had to have a debate first, I guess.

Nuclear is great until someone builds a plant in your county, then most people in the county suddenly become rabid environmentalists.

man, if only we were closer to these guys

1350487566-0.jpg

Back