• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Climate Change & Natural Disasters Thread

Upton Sinclair said “It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on him not understanding it”

I don’t think it’s fair to blame climate change skeptics doubt on liberal activists hyperbolizing about climate change when those climate change skeptics live in a cultural and media landscape that commands them to doubt man made climate change. Liberal activists are simply fighting back in the only language they know, shrill and condescending as it is.

My opinion - I know that America and the west have adopted this identity of rugged individualism and liberty, but we have now an intractable existential divide in modern society that is absolutely not going to be bridged by individuals changing their minds. This is going to require authoritarian top down forced solutions to adapt to and survive climate change.

The world is gonna end in EIGHT years, just as little red lubette has said. But until then we need comrade Stalin to stop bovine flatulence and all. A one, and a two, and a ...

The world is gonna end in EIGHT years, just as little red lubette has said. But until then we need comrade Stalin to stop bovine flatulence and all. A one, and a two, and a ...

This is the kind of dumb shit that we are up against.

How do good compassionate conservatives believe 1 - man is fallible 2 - god created the earth 3 - humans are supposed to be good stewards for the planet 4 - climate change cannot possibly be man made or influenced?

There is a disconnect somewhere.

T

How do good compassionate conservatives believe 1 - man is fallible 2 - god created the earth 3 - humans are supposed to be good stewards for the planet 4 - climate change cannot possibly be man made or influenced?

There is a disconnect somewhere.

T

Because most of them don't really believe in being good stewards for the planet. In the end it's always profit uber alles for pretty much any issue.

Because most of them don't really believe in being good stewards for the planet. In the end it's always profit uber alles for pretty much any issue.

waitaminute. are you saying they are using their "faith" however it best serves their interests rather than, i dunno, follow the teachings they claim to believe in? caring for other people is so new testament. evangelicals want to make the bible old testament again. #MTBOTA

Volcanic eruptions are known to affect climate. Mt Pinatubo in the Philippines had a measurable (albeit ephemeral) global cooling effect 20 years ago. So all you coal loving climate deniers should be crossing your fingers here.

Don't let facts get in the way of the resentment, arrogance, and an incredible lack of interest in protecting god's creation (that's earth for all the arm chair christians cheering on old testament white jesus).

Thanks to Ranger for posting the video of the tsunami. For a local angle, I have a friend that works with the Sea Grant project at NC State that says the town of Plymouth, North Carolina is the most vulnerable "town/city" based on how municipalities/populations are measured for rising sea levels. Brief internet research brought me here, which I found interesting and thought the group may also:

https://riskfinder.climatecentral.o...forecastType=NOAA2017_int_p50&level=4&unit=ft

Interesting search tool here: https://riskfinder.climatecentral.org/

So, they don't have anything to do with each other?

Then why pair them?

Have you read this thread?

Not that you are typically inclined to engage in rational discussion here but, of course, they have something to do with each other. Some parts we have influence on and others we don’t. That doesn’t make them unrelated.

Climate Change & Natural Disasters Thread

So, they don't have anything to do with each other?

Then why pair them?

Have you read this thread?

Natural Disasters are a political topic because politics determine how nations prepare for them and protect citizens from them, are you really going to ask if say Hurricane Katrina is a political topic? One of the most common problems during natural disasters is the failure of neglected infrastructure - a political topic.

Last edited:
What makes nature a disaster in many cases is the political decisions about where and how people should live. Otherwise it would just be nature doing it’s thing.

That’s true. It is from an another tsunami.

Back