• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Climate Change & Natural Disasters Thread

Fire alarms going off in buildings everywhere because it was so hot yesterday. Cooled down nicely last night though

no wonder the Brits couldn't keep their empire...what a bunch of wusses.

yeah but we have air conditioners

Yeah maybe, but do the people in drought stricken western US have the consistent electricity to use them? The energy grid in Texas and California are both fucked, plus all those hydroelectric damns are going to be useless when there’s no water to power them.

Yeah maybe, but do the people in drought stricken western US have the consistent electricity to use them? The energy grid in Texas and California are both fucked, plus all those hydroelectric damns are going to be useless when there’s no water to power them.

plenty of space in northern california. northern PA, central NY is a vast forest. hell main is basically uninhabited

Aren’t Nor Cal and Oregon ravaged by wildfires like every year now?

Aren’t Nor Cal and Oregon ravaged by wildfires like every year now?

Many of those fire, in CA anyway, are actually started by sparking and exploding transformers in an out dated and over stressed power grid.

Many of those fire, in CA anyway, are actually started by sparking and exploding transformers in an out dated and over stressed power grid.

You’re telling me that shareholders don’t want to spend money to maintain critical infrastructure. No way.

Yup, and now the power company is paying through the nose bc they were found liable for fires. The short-sightedness of companies as they chase the almighty dollar drives me nuts.

Only 3% of land in the U.S. is currently classified as urban. Obviously nowhere close to all of that other 97% is inhabitable, but overpopulation here isn't really a thing like in other countries. Our failing infrastructure is indeed sad though.

Only 3% of land in the U.S. is currently classified as urban. Obviously nowhere close to all of that other 97% is inhabitable, but overpopulation here isn't really a thing like in other countries. Our failing infrastructure is indeed sad though.

I think that’s an over simplistic interpretation of habitable. We don’t use our natural resources in a way to maximize habitability, but to maximize profit. If you consider fresh water to be the main resource that makes land habitable, then much of the western US should not be habitable now, and will soon be uninhabitable again. Las Vegas is one of the fastest growing cities in the nation, yet 4/5 of its water supply comes from a Lake Mead which is quite literally disappearing before our eyes.

Every time I hear about something new moving to Las Vegas I am more perplexed. How do you move professional sports teams there? It’s insane.

Ultimately I think most “overpopulation” arguments are spun out from gross capitalist eugenics viewpoints, but in the case of America we literally do have large populations of people living in arid desert land that we have irresponsibly irrigated, and as desertification takes hold those populations will sooner than not have to migrate.

Ultimately I think most “overpopulation” arguments are spun out from gross capitalist eugenics viewpoints, but in the case of America we literally do have large populations of people living in arid desert land that we have irresponsibly irrigated, and as desertification takes hold those populations will sooner than not have to migrate.

The lonesome crowded west

One of the most dystopian things I’ve ever seen are those ridiculous
90’s and 2000’s McMansion suburban neighborhoods in Arizona and Nevada that are literally built out into the desert, and after the housing market collapse many of them were abandoned, often before construction was even completed, and returned to nature

One of the most dystopian things I’ve ever seen are those ridiculous
90’s and 2000’s McMansion suburban neighborhoods in Arizona and Nevada that are literally built out into the desert, and after the housing market collapse many of them were abandoned, often before construction was even completed, and returned to nature

ArqJe25.png

Back