• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Climate Change & Natural Disasters Thread

import more coal and gas into Germany?

the Rhine says, "Nein!"

Only semi related, I have been on a river cruise on the Rhine from Frankfurt that stopped in Kaub for a wine tasting, it’s a beautiful place to visit

Debate, discussion on nuclear energy
https://www.yahoo.com/news/experts-...ole-in-fighting-climate-change-095457513.html

France (nuclear) and Germany (solar, wind) have already chosen different solutions and received much different results. France has much cheaper and more reliable energy than Germany.

In my previous post, the guy who put solar panels on his house had an 11% decrease in energy generation year to year due to a rainier summer due to global warming. I don't think relying on an energy source affected by global warming is the way to get out of global warming. At least as a national policy. I'm fine for solar panels on houses; in fact, I'd insist on it if I lived in Texas.

“I don't think relying on an energy source affected by global warming is the way to get out of global warming.”

Meanwhile, French nuclear power plants are at risk because the river that delivers cooling waters is running dry due to massive historic drought.

The planet's not overpopulated. The people just use too many resources.

Seems like the best way to reduce fossil fuels worldwide would be a big expansion of nuclear.

Seems like the best way to reduce fossil fuels worldwide would be a big expansion of nuclear.

Literally 3 posts above it’s mentioned how reliable waterways are a necessity of nuclear power.

But I suppose liberals assume that some bullshit highly stipulated government grants for the private sector are somehow going to prevent rainfall shortages and drought in the short term.

Excited for the Biden admin to figure out how to cool nuclear plants with tax credits.

Where is the water going instead of waterways? More clouds and vapors?

Literally 3 posts above it’s mentioned how reliable waterways are a necessity of nuclear power.

Nuclear has to be apart of the solution. Along with solar and wind. I posted that tweet because Awaken comes on here and promotes nuclear and makes dismissive comments about renewables as unreliable but forgets that they are faster and cheaper to get up and running and that nuclear brings with it a host of complexities and long term considerations. Like, they need a reliable water supply to keep the plants cool and under control, but we know that putting them on the coast is risky (see Fukushima, or sea level rise) and now we see reservoirs around the world shrinking and rivers running dry from climate change caused droughts. It’s going to take all solutions to get us out of this mess (if we can get out of it) and we have to be careful.

Where is the water going instead of waterways? More clouds and vapors?

It’s a “500 year drought” in Europe right now, so, the water didn’t fall in the first place, and the water that did fall is evaporating faster from the rivers, lakes, and reservoirs because the air is drier and hotter than usual. When that happens 4 times in 12 years, the 4th time (2022) you are already starting from a reduced baseline of water in the systems.

It’s a “500 year drought” in Europe right now, so, the water didn’t fall in the first place, and the water that did fall is evaporating faster from the rivers, lakes, and reservoirs because the air is drier and hotter than usual. When that happens 4 times in 12 years, the 4th time (2022) you are already starting from a reduced baseline of water in the systems.

So more vapor. The answer is more vapor.

it's already too late, the climate is fucked. there's a new historic flood, drought, fire, blizzard, etc every other day. sure looks like small scale climate disasters happening everywhere and some not so small. the majority of people are going to suffer consequences of this shit sooner than i think most realize imo. and the ted cruz-es of the world will fly to cancun again and by the time that's not viable any more it'll be seriously too late.

I don’t think it’s a joke. The amount of water doesn’t really change, only how much is in what states of matter. So if there is less glacial water and less liquid water, what forms of water is there more of? The answer seems to be vapor.

I don’t think it’s a joke. The amount of water doesn’t really change, only how much is in what states of matter. So if there is less glacial water and less liquid water, what forms of water is there more of? The answer seems to be vapor.

Or, it’s just redistributed temporally and spatially. Record floods in Kentucky, Yellowstone, and Arizona, records droughts in California, France, UK and Ethiopia. The stability of the systems upon which we depend is disrupted.

Ah yes. Great point.

Back