• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Climate Change & Natural Disasters Thread

Holy hell

5d1500663aeba.image.jpg

Geez. And this wasn't the first time that happened according to the article.

They need to release those a hole's names. F them. Look at meeeeeeeee! Whole world is looking now jack ass.

The earth is literally burning up and we're still minimizing and denying the impact of climate change. Scary stuff, seems inevitable that wars will be fought in the very near future over agricultural space and water sources.

The earth is literally burning up and we're still minimizing and denying the impact of climate change. Scary stuff, seems inevitable that wars will be fought in the very near future over agricultural space and water sources.

This. And these are things we should have been dealing with for the last 20-30 years. We knew this stuff was going to happen.

Dr. Litcher (sp?), a Wake Environmental Geography teacher in the 90's, made a similar prediction in class, almost 25 years ago. He said the next great world war will be over drinking water, not oil or other resources. It is already happening though, the Syrian Civil War was in part a war started by drought and crop failures.

Dr. Litcher (sp?), a Wake Environmental Geography teacher in the 90's, made a similar prediction in class, almost 25 years ago. He said the next great world war will be over drinking water, not oil or other resources. It is already happening though, the Syrian Civil War was in part a war started by drought and crop failures.

Dr. Litcher was a great guy. I had him for a couple of Ed classes in the late 70s. He wrote his own obituary.

Its not just climate change deniers though. I would say an equally large percentage of the population is happy with minimal changes to our current ways of life, which won't make a dent in a problem which is still accelerating. Fairly drastic changes are needed and there's little interest in making meaningful change happen.

How much does climate change play a role in the wildfires as compared to over development (expanding residential developments into formerly wild lands) and mismanagement of public lands (namely not doing controlled burns)? I’m legitimately curious. Obviously they all play some part. But even without climate change, would wildfires be getting worse given those other factors?

How much does climate change play a role in the wildfires as compared to over development (expanding residential developments into formerly wild lands) and mismanagement of public lands (namely not doing controlled burns)? I’m legitimately curious. Obviously they all play some part. But even without climate change, would wildfires be getting worse given those other factors?

Poor public policy makes climate change even worse much like poor public policy has made the pandemic worse, makes racism worse, etc.

Its a good question...not sure there's an exact answer. I read this article yesterday which touches on both causes.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/12/california-oregon-washington-fires-explained-climate-change

Really good questions. They are all factors. However the rate of increase in fire intensity over the last two decades far exceeds the rate of increase in rural and exurban development and forest management has, if anything, gotten much better since the spotted owl wars of the mid 90s. We are certainly feeling the effects of 2 centuries of fire suppression but the fires we’ve seen in the last 5-10 years are off the charts.

Here are a couple of tweets that might get you started on this subject.

https://twitter.com/leroywesterling/status/1304506754680512512?s=21

https://twitter.com/ecologyofgavin/status/1303750619916689408?s=21

Back