• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Climate Change & Natural Disasters Thread

The other way Americans have been convinced to prefer gas stoves over electric ones is by actually using an electric stove and hating it at a visceral level.

I don’t hate electric, but I’d much rather have a gas stove.

Electric oven though.

Don’t dare try to take my gas heat or water heater.

Last edited:
it's hard to find gas here in the mountains and I hate my electric glasstop stove. such a pain in the ass to clean. the slightest boil over creates a huge mess.

it's hard to find gas here in the mountains and I hate my electric glasstop stove. such a pain in the ass to clean. the slightest boil over creates a huge mess.

You don't want a boilover? Do this: do not cover the pot but place a wooden spoon across the top. No more boilover. Works like a charm. Who knows why? But it does. There have been no boilovers in the years since we started doing it.

We got an electric induction stove top and it’s awesome. Energy efficient and also responsive, ie it heats up fast and cools down fast so there is little wasted energy. I think it works based on magnetism rather electricity heating a coil. You need special pots and pans that react to the magnets.

We got an electric induction stove top and it’s awesome. Energy efficient and also responsive, ie it heats up fast and cools down fast so there is little wasted energy. I think it works based on magnetism rather electricity heating a coil. You need special pots and pans that react to the magnets.

This is the best answer, but it's also why that article is a joke. Induction means all new pots and pans, and almost nobody has used one whereas most people have been forced to cook at least a few meals on an electric stove. After we sold our townhouse we lived in an apartment for a few months before buying a house - it had an electric stove. I'd used electric stoves a few times prior, and disliked them. But that thing turned dislike into outright hatred. Slow to heat, slow to cool, underpowered, making actual adjustments to heat was impossible. It ruined so much food. Most people who enjoy cooking have had similar experiences. It's not some marketing thing or the "big gas" lobby or whatever. Uber didn't have to convince people that cabs were horrible.

You don't want a boilover? Do this: do not cover the pot but place a wooden spoon across the top. No more boilover. Works like a charm. Who knows why? But it does. There have been no boilovers in the years since we started doing it.

In what scenario is placing the wooden spoon a functional substitute for covering the pot? Why not just leave it uncovered?

I know not to cover the boiling pot obviously. But occasionally it will boil up and a bit over if on too aggressive once pasta is in. Or if you are sautéing and spatter a bit. Bottom line is glass stove tops suck to clean.

When we bought our house I told the realtor during the due diligence period that if we couldn’t convert from electric to gas on the stove we didn’t want the house.

When we bought our house I told the realtor during the due diligence period that if we couldn’t convert from electric to gas on the stove we didn’t want the house.

What if the sellers throw in some wooden spoons?

I like electric glass top a lot more than traditional electric. To me it's much easier to clean. No crevices.

It's official. Hell is freezing over. It's snowing in Texas.

Back