Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change & Natural Disasters Thread

The other way Americans have been convinced to prefer gas stoves over electric ones is by actually using an electric stove and hating it at a visceral level.

I donít hate electric, but Iíd much rather have a gas stove.

Electric oven though.

Donít dare try to take my gas heat or water heater.
    Last edited by bym051d; 02-11-2021 at 02:52 PM.

it's hard to find gas here in the mountains and I hate my electric glasstop stove. such a pain in the ass to clean. the slightest boil over creates a huge mess.

Dickie Hemric
    Quote Originally Posted by BarcaDeac View Post
    it's hard to find gas here in the mountains and I hate my electric glasstop stove. such a pain in the ass to clean. the slightest boil over creates a huge mess.
    You don't want a boilover? Do this: do not cover the pot but place a wooden spoon across the top. No more boilover. Works like a charm. Who knows why? But it does. There have been no boilovers in the years since we started doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by BarcaDeac View Post
    We got an electric induction stove top and itís awesome. Energy efficient and also responsive, ie it heats up fast and cools down fast so there is little wasted energy. I think it works based on magnetism rather electricity heating a coil. You need special pots and pans that react to the magnets.
    Birds are real.

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    We got an electric induction stove top and itís awesome. Energy efficient and also responsive, ie it heats up fast and cools down fast so there is little wasted energy. I think it works based on magnetism rather electricity heating a coil. You need special pots and pans that react to the magnets.
    This is the best answer, but it's also why that article is a joke. Induction means all new pots and pans, and almost nobody has used one whereas most people have been forced to cook at least a few meals on an electric stove. After we sold our townhouse we lived in an apartment for a few months before buying a house - it had an electric stove. I'd used electric stoves a few times prior, and disliked them. But that thing turned dislike into outright hatred. Slow to heat, slow to cool, underpowered, making actual adjustments to heat was impossible. It ruined so much food. Most people who enjoy cooking have had similar experiences. It's not some marketing thing or the "big gas" lobby or whatever. Uber didn't have to convince people that cabs were horrible.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...istory/617793/

Thought this climate change article was incredibly interesting for a number of reasons, not the least of which is how absolutely wild the history of the Earth really is.

Quote Originally Posted by sailordeac View Post
    You don't want a boilover? Do this: do not cover the pot but place a wooden spoon across the top. No more boilover. Works like a charm. Who knows why? But it does. There have been no boilovers in the years since we started doing it.
    In what scenario is placing the wooden spoon a functional substitute for covering the pot? Why not just leave it uncovered?

I know not to cover the boiling pot obviously. But occasionally it will boil up and a bit over if on too aggressive once pasta is in. Or if you are sautťing and spatter a bit. Bottom line is glass stove tops suck to clean.

Makes sense, but not really a covering situation. Never notice the boiling over problem with pasta, could be because I tend to use larger pots. I notice it mostly with cooking rice on the stovetop, when it boils over if I cover it too soon after cutting the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by deactherunner View Post
    In what scenario is placing the wooden spoon a functional substitute for covering the pot? Why not just leave it uncovered?
    Itís Magic. No need for an explanation.
    Birds are real.

When we bought our house I told the realtor during the due diligence period that if we couldnít convert from electric to gas on the stove we didnít want the house.
    Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconCav06 View Post
    When we bought our house I told the realtor during the due diligence period that if we couldnít convert from electric to gas on the stove we didnít want the house.
    What if the sellers throw in some wooden spoons?
    Birds are real.

I like electric glass top a lot more than traditional electric. To me it's much easier to clean. No crevices.

Cool that you choose an article that quotes a wake professor

Banhammer'd
    It's official. Hell is freezing over. It's snowing in Texas.

Dickie Hemric
    thanks for posting