• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Climate Change & Natural Disasters Thread

I see Brad watched foxnews today. I guess an original thought as part of a nonsensical whatabout would be too much to ask.

Don, Jr., defended Ted Cruz and put the blame for the problems in Texas on "the Democrat governor".

If you weren't convinced about intelligence being hereditary. this should do it.

Don, Jr., defended Ted Cruz and put the blame for the problems in Texas on "the Democrat governor".

If you weren't convinced about intelligence being hereditary. this should do it.

That coke addled fucker scares me. I'm convinced he runs for president in 4 years.

I have done business with that roomate. Pretty good guy actually, despite knowing Ted Cruz.

Doesn't slower ocean currents and warmer water lead directly to bigger and stronger hurricanes?

Doesn't slower ocean currents and warmer water lead directly to bigger and stronger hurricanes?

Oceanic currents, like the gulf stream, the north Pacific gyre, the great ocean conveyor belt, are really complicated systems. The rely on temperature differentials, salinity differentials, density differentials and physical features like continental shelfs and underwater mountain ranges. Predicting what will happen to the currents is really challenging work and predicting what will happen to hurricanes as a result is doubly difficult because of compounding uncertainty. The shutting down or weakening of the gulf stream could actually make the effects of hurricanes much less severe on North America, because the Atlantic would be a much colder ocean. So, as the storms coming off cape Verde and shift north due to the Corialis effect they will encounter a much colder ocean and lose energy fast. Storms that make it to the Gulf nay be more intense because the warm waters feed the storms and it is no loger flowing out of the gulf and into the Atlantic...Having said that, the gulf stream isn't just going to go away, it will redirect some how. The oceans will always have currents, it is just hard to know where they will flow and what temperature they will be once the stability of the current system is disrupted. The really big problem that I see is that we have organized a lot of our lives, societies, geographies and economies around the fairly predictable patterns of these massive global airflow (e.g. Jet stream) and water flow (e.g., gulf stream) systems. Disrupting those systems will have massive disruptions to our way of life, but in ways that are very hard to anticipate.

The degree or two rise in the Earth's temperature had made it to where it will never seriously snow in Winston again. Instead it will just be 35 degrees and rainy for three months.

Where do I sign up to blow up an oil pipeline?

Back