• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Mount Rushmore of Breakfast Cereals

It's a Mount Rushmore thread, not a fringe top 15 thread.

If we were talking advertising icons, Tony the Tiger would be a Mount Rushmore candidate. But you're right, as a cereal Frosted Flakes don't belong in the discussion.

If we were talking advertising icons, Tony the Tiger would be a Mount Rushmore candidate. But you're right, as a cereal Frosted Flakes don't belong in the discussion.

The Drunk History on Corn Flakes was pretty good.

Fruity Pebbles
Lucky Charms
Cocoa Puffs
Crunch Berries

Not even pretending this is a real list, just my favorites over time:

Cracklin Oat Bran
Honey Nut Cheerios
Raisin Bran Crunch
Boo Berry

Strawberry Mini Wheats, Cocoa Puffs, and Apple Jacks would be in the running as well. Had a bowl of Great Grains (the pecan one) with a fresh peach this morning, and that was pretty tasty.

No Special K fans?

I'm a Special K fan. And I'm a Cheerios fan.

But then again, the only time I really eat cereal is either as the breakfast meal on the plane (I'll take cereal and a bagel over the cold crappy omelet) or in a hotel lounge (again, scrambled eggs that have been sitting over a bunson burner for who knows how long is just not appealing).

You guys are crazy - Frosted Flakes are one of the top selling cereals of all time and not because it’s garbage. It’s a Rushmore level cereal.

I thought it was personal Mount Rushmore. I love Frosted Flakes but for my monument cereal needs to either be somewhat healthy like whole grain or if not, be absurdly sweet or unique tasting. Frosted Flakes is like corn so it loses on healthiness to equivalent tasting cereals like Raisin Bran or frosted mini wheats. And chocolate or cinnamon type flavors kill boring old “frosting”

Capn Crunch
Cocoa Crispies
Reese's PB
Count Chocula
Banana Nut Crunch ( I stopped eating this because it reminded me too much of the "nut punch")

Wheaties
Cheerios
Shredded Wheat
Sugar Smacks

I know, I know. At least 2 of these choices will be derided. The taste buds want what the taste buds want. There should be no argument about Wheaties, however.

They haven't been called Sugar Smacks for about 35 years.

what would be the Mt Rushmore if you're trying to get the four most iconic cereals of all time?

Cheerios
Wheaties
Life
Corn Flakes

??

Capn Crunch
Cocoa Crispies
Reese's PB
Count Chocula
Banana Nut Crunch ( I stopped eating this because it reminded me too much of the "nut punch")

I still stock up on count choc every fall

Does anyone else remember a cereal called Raisin Squares? It was like oaty-like squares with a raisin inside each one? I used to love that stuff but it disappeared - doesn't seem like it was around very long. I always figured it was too expensive to have someone sticking a raisin inside each little square.

Does anyone else remember a cereal called Raisin Squares? It was like oaty-like squares with a raisin inside each one? I used to love that stuff but it disappeared - doesn't seem like it was around very long. I always figured it was too expensive to have someone sticking a raisin inside each little square.

YES. Those were delicious. You also just sent me down a rabbit hole of trying to figure out what ever happened to Golden Fruit - which was basically like raisin poptarts.

Back