• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Mount Rushmore of Breakfast Cereals

YES. Those were delicious. You also just sent me down a rabbit hole of trying to figure out what ever happened to Golden Fruit - which was basically like raisin poptarts.

No surprise that I remember that cereal too (think it was like a shredded wheat type of wrapper).

Golden fruit was like a cross between plain pop tarts and fig newtons, with the result being far far worse than the sum of its parts. What a disappointing snack those were.

what would be the Mt Rushmore if you're trying to get the four most iconic cereals of all time?

Cheerios
Wheaties
Life
Corn Flakes

??

maybe Rice Krispies instead of Life? they also produce an iconic dessert. but Life prob has the most iconic commercial of any cereal.

My favorite four are/were.

Life
Cocoa Puffs
Apple Jacks
Golden Grahams.

I might eat a bowl of cereal 3-4 times a year now and its usually Special K with berries. Back when they used to put minibags of candy in the bottom of the cereal box, my brother and I had an agreement that you could not reach into the bag to get the skittles. It had to land in your bowl from the box. We would sit there and each eat three bowls of Honeycomb Crisp just trying to win. It got to the point we were going through so much cereal my mom switched it up to Wheaties and Rice Chex to slow us down.

My favorite four are/were.

Life
Cocoa Puffs
Apple Jacks
Golden Grahams.

I might eat a bowl of cereal 3-4 times a year now and its usually Special K with berries. Back when they used to put minibags of candy in the bottom of the cereal box, my brother and I had an agreement that you could not reach into the bag to get the skittles. It had to land in your bowl from the box. We would sit there and each eat three bowls of Honeycomb Crisp just trying to win. It got to the point we were going through so much cereal my mom switched it up to Wheaties and Rice Chex to slow us down.

Rice Chex amounts to Life with less sugar, right?

what would be the Mt Rushmore if you're trying to get the four most iconic cereals of all time?

Cheerios
Wheaties
Life
Corn Flakes

??

I think it’d be Cheerios, Raisin Bran, Rice Krispies and Corn Flakes as they’ve all been around for like 100 years.

No surprise that I remember that cereal too (think it was like a shredded wheat type of wrapper).

Golden fruit was like a cross between plain pop tarts and fig newtons, with the result being far far worse than the sum of its parts. What a disappointing snack those were.

Yes, I recall it being like shredded wheat as well. I liked Golden Fruit because it was chewy... I enjoyed it more than the tollhouse windmill cookies mom would get from the bulk section.

oh, and top 4 cereals:

-Cinnamon Life
-Cracklin' Oat Bran
-Smacks
-Raisin Bran

I've just discovered this "Pit". I must say that I'm surprised so many adults have such strong feelings about breakfast cereals.

I am more of a fruit and eggs kind of guy. But to each his own.

I've just discovered this "Pit". I must say that I'm surprised so many adults have such strong feelings about breakfast cereals.

buckle in. we have this conversation about once every 6 months or so... jimmies get rustled, names are called, nobody's mind is changed.

We're adults in age only in many respects. Welcome aboard.

I’m gonna put my thumb through your eye, you little bitch!!!

It’s my way of saying welcome. You’ll like it here. It’s definitely kinder than the other 2 options on the boards.

I think wheat Chex would be Life with less sugar.

Ingredients list for (original) Life cereal, from the Quaker Oats web site:

Ingredients: Whole grain oat flour, sugar, corn flour, whole wheat flour, rice flour, salt, calcium carbonate, disodium phosphate, reduced iron, niacinamide*, BHT (to preserve freshness), yellow 5, yellow 6, thiamine mononitrate*, riboflavin*, pyridoxine hydrochloride*, folic acid*. *One of the B vitamins.

I think I'd go with:

Honey Bunches of Oats
Raisin Bran Crunch
Cinnamon Life
Special K

Back